Common blights on my Blue Lake green beans

Sunnyvale, CA(Zone 9b)

I believe I have common blights. Many leaves show the symptoms.

What can I do? Is there any organic remedy?

Thanks!

tmm

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

I hope you get an answer. Seems that is spread by insects, maybe leafhoppers? Or bean beetles?

Can tell you that potatoes as companions protect from the Mexcian Bean Beetle, and corn interplating protects from leafhopppers, and tomatoes help increase yield. This won't help your current crop, but maybe you can paln ahead next year. Hopefully someone can say whether you need to rotate the corps as well...

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

Same goes here. And my bush beans are planted with potatoes. The beans are flowering though (TopCrop and Royal Burgundy) and the wilt seemed to occur only in hot weather. I'll mulch heavily, and see how it goes.

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

Also, tmm, you said there was initial flowering and none since. Isn't that generally the case with determinate bush beans? I mean, you can't keep picking them like you do pole beans. You did succession plantings?

Sunnyvale, CA(Zone 9b)

No, I didn't do succession plantings. This is the 1st year I planted green beans and I actually have no idea about bean planting. I have read about succession plantings though. I already harvested tons of green beans so far and I probably will for another week or so since I still have a lot of tiny beans on them. Is this over now? Beans don't keep on flowering anymore? (If so I won't worry about this blight disease.) I did experience this problem when it was really hot also. I cut out all the diseased looking leaves at that point, but got more even though it didn't get that hot afterwards. We have been experiencing some weird wether here (some rain which is unusual) and that may have something to do with it too.

tmm

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

Last year I continued to harvest bush beans till after the first light frost, and I planted them in May...

Weird weather cuases lots of weird things...

Sunnyvale, CA(Zone 9b)

Thank you for letting me know Tamara.
Maybe the weather is causing this; maybe the blight is causing this, but I will wait and see. My strawberries all bloomed and there were no more blooms for a couple of weeks so I thought they were over and done with but then they all bloomed again, so I will wait and see with the beans too.

tmm

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.