Dahlia 'Bumble Rumble'

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Dahlia 'Bumble Rumble'
Dahlia

Bumble Rumble. Early season collarette, flowers 4" to 6" and four feet tall and still blooming in the middle of November in Zone 9.

This message was edited Nov 19, 2005 7:33 PM

Thumbnail by doss
Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Oh wow!! That is just absolutely beautiful!

Schwenksville, PA(Zone 6a)

What a show stopper

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

It's certainly worth growing. :-)

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Really, really pretty!

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

Gorgeous!

Bartow, FL(Zone 9b)

beautiful Dahlia ,i love'em but i have to grow them early here in FL or the heat wipes them out fast

Foley, AL

awsome

ely

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I have to say that as many plants as I've put in the plant files this is the one that has gotten the most comments by far. It's fascinating!

Foley, AL

it is truley unique...

ely

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Doss, just noticed this beauty! What a stunner. I see that some of the info has not been filled in on the entry. Do you have to info to do it?

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Done!
Dahlia Lover - that's the beauty of Bumble Rumble. It's one of the first to bloom and one of the last to bloom. I grow mine where they get afternoon shade. This is one of the toughest dahlias I've grown. Highly recommended for warm weather.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

It's certainly distinctive! I don't imagine it would come back true from seed, would it?

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

No, Dahlias just don't come true from seed - like many hybrid flowering plants. You can do leaf cuttings or divide tubers though. Either one of those will work.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

I've grown the Unwin's Dwarf, and I think there are a few that do well from seed. Most people just divide the rhizomes or use the cuttings, I guess, but I like to start from seed when I can.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Go for it then. At the worst, you'll end up with a surprise. Although tubers are very reasonable and almost all of them are less than $5.00 each. And then you get more and more and......... :-) But then you probably know this.

I have to say that out of all the collarettes I've grown this was the best plant in terms of production and health.

Eureka, CA

So Doss.... you say toughest to grow, and warm weather required. I was going to purchase one for this spring. I'm on the north coast of California (90 mi. south of Oregon border) so perhaps I shouldn't try it? I love yours.... appreciate your input.

Sanna

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Did I say that? If I did I was wrong. This is the easiest dahlia I grow and it blooms the longest.
You live in prime dahlia growing country. I grow mine in afternoon shade mostly because they don't like the heat. You should have great luck with Bumble Rumble. And the bumble bees really do like it.

This plant is the best conversation starter I have in my garden. You should definitely try it.

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Simply gorgeous! Did you find this plant locally or did you order it on-line?

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Ok, you've convinced me Doss, I'll keep an eye out for the rhizomes. I have to dig my dahlias every fall, but they do well wintered over in the basement and started early indoors. Thanks for the PF fillers!

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I ordered it on line - where I order a lot of my plants. This came from Swan Island Dahlias but you can buy it from Accent dahlias or park dahlias. This link is for Swan Island.

http://www.dahlias.com/advanced_search_result.php?osCsid=f726b30aabf6c3b378ac93d594028256&keywords=bumble&osCsid=f726b30aabf6c3b378ac93d594028256&x=0&y=0

Glad that you're going to try it Weezingreens. You'll love it. Be sure to plant it somewhere people will see it. It's in my front yard.

This message was edited Nov 19, 2005 8:06 PM

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

I grow most of mine in big pots because they have to be dug anyway. I can give it a good spot that way. Thanks for the link.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

You are welcome. I'll look forward to your photo and comment next year!

Eureka, CA

Thanks Doss for the reply! Yup! I'm going to try it. I've been lusting after many varieties, looking at Swan Island. Yum!

Sanna

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

You won't be sorry Sanna, I promise.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.