Wind and lightening storm

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

Last night we had a nasty one blow through. Lots of wind and lightening. There was a tornado about 20 miles of Dickinson. We were in Dickinson today for Fathers Day and tree shopping and this is a couple pictures we took of the damage.

Thumbnail by Joan
Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

This one is a tree at least 50 foot tall. Uprooted.

Notice the man standing by the roots. The roots are out of the ground taller than he is.

Thumbnail by Joan
Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Uh-oh! How ya doin. Joan?

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Wow, aren't you glad you don't live in Dickinson? Glad you are okay.

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

We are fine. Thanks for asking.

We got the lightening and a slow rain. No wind at all. I told DH that is was eerily calm, and he agreed.

Dickinson is about 20 miles from us, and they really got the brunt of the storm. I am very glad that we weren't living in Dickinson that night, but our turn could be right around the corner.

There was a small tornado that went through a place a mile from us on June 6th. Lots of damage there too, but luckily, not to the mobil home they live in.

Strange weather.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

The worst is over for the Southern Plains. Now its your turn!

I roughnecked for a short time on a drill rig next to the Little Missouri River (in the badlands) back in the 60s. Shared a trailer with two other guys in Belfield. Some guys from Oklahoma and Texas came up there once in awhile to check our progress. We thought they talked funny. Now I am surrounded by Okies & Texans! Probably told you all that already. Dang, that was forty years ago! :-)

John

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

John, you never have told me that. It's a small world isn't it? Are you originally from this area?

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

California actually. I was sowing some wild oats I guess. Met a gal from Williston and hung out there for awhile. Then I found the roughnecking job out of Medora. Lost track of her but, not the memories. ;-)

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

Too funny. I work in Medora and live in the Belfield area. It's sometimes hard to believe that someone from California actually lived here for a short while. Sometimes I think we are so secluded up here.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Joan, you may find it hard to believe but, being "secluded" is something many of us seek. Google secluded and you will see!

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

I googled secluded, and I see what you mean.

However, I crave the hustle and bustle, more places to shop other than Walmart that I have to drive 20 miles to, and being able to get milk and bread without also driving those 20 miles. LOL

I guess it's a classic case of "the grass looks greener on the other side"

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

I think so. It doesn't take long for that greener pastures thing to set in either. Its the "drifter" that lives in many of us Americans. There is much to be said for being planted and taking root, too! I've done both and like both life styles.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.