My first happy Dahlia

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

This is Bumble Rumble. It's my granddaughter's favorite. About four to five inches across.

Thumbnail by doss
Eureka, CA

Doss - and a very pretty one, at that! My first one is out, but we've been so pummeled by the rain the last few weeks (especially yesterday) it is looking a little sad. Give me a few more weeks and I'll have some pix for you!

Sanna

Mirpur (A.K), Pakistan(Zone 9b)

Sooooooooooooooooo pretty..............
Kaleem

Lubbock, TX(Zone 7a)

Very pretty.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

:-) Nobody ever walks by this one without noticing it.

Sorry about the rain Sanna. That's incredibly disappointing. I just had to rescue mine because they were drooping. I won't feel badly about having to water anymore.

Oklahoma City, OK(Zone 7a)

Hmmmmm, I need to see if there is a picture of this one in the PlantFiles. We may need your expert photography to add to our plants database so other gardeners can learn more about this flower - like how gorgeous it is. :)

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

There wasn't one - there wasn't even an entry. But it's in the queue. :-)
Gorgeous, easy to grow, fairly pest free, lovely cut flowers that last forever in the vase, bouquets that make people cry they are so beautiful, plants that make your neighbors come to visit, and everyday you can go check their progress and marvel at them. Not a general 'landscape' plant and they need staking. But who cares?

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Doss,
Love that "Bumble Rumble."
We will have to do a trade in the fall, hint, hint!
I don't usually like those types, but I love the colors. It would look good in bouquets.
Later, Carol

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

It is funny isn't it. Collarettes almost don't seem like what we think of Dahlias. I agree though, this one is special. And it is very happy in my warm zone 9 garden which is very important. I doesn't get afternoon sun here though which is good.

I'll have some more "normal" ones coming later. I really enjoy having a variety and I don't think that I'd be without this one. But I'm loving the lacianated and cactus ones especially lately.

Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

hiya doss,

Lovely flower, it's a stunner for sure. Hope to see more of your lovely blooms as the season progresses for you.

best,
Don

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Lovely collarette, there definitely some really different ones in that category. When you raise large dahlias from seed it seems a lot of them are collarettes or singles. We raised one and saved it and called it Bee Crazy as the bumble bees just cover it. I am a long way from bloom but will post it when it shows its face.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

That's so interesting about the seedlings being collarettes. That must be fun. I can't wait to see those new ones. And Don - please keep those photos coming. I'm loving them.

Isn't it great to have this forum???
Thanks pirl!

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

Love that 'Bumble Rumble', Doss! Stunning!

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

BUMBLE RUMBLE sounds like my home (4 boys somebody is always bumblin, rumblin, or grumblin! LOL). Doss can you tell me how big a "collarette" is? It sounds really small. That is one pretty iris....I mean dahlia. Sorry dahlias are developing into a new addiction. My 1/8 acre is soon going to lawnless. HAHA.

Roni

Welcome to DG, Roni! Wow! 4 boys? I'll stop complaining about my 2 now. I can't imagine having 4!

I know what you mean about the disappearing lawn......mine is going fast!

Mendy

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Roni - 4 boys is quite a team. Collarettes differ enormously in size. Bumble Rumble is four to five inches wide. It really is quite striking although it is no dinnerplate. I don't think that i'd be crazy about it if it were too much bigger. It already looks enough like a cartoon. :-) I have some more collarettes coming up so I'll send photos. You can also see photos on the websites but sometimes they won't tell you how big the collarettes are - maybe someone knows why?

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

Yep, I got 4 (6, 9, 11, 14) but I really can't complain they do enjoy helping out in the garden when I play beat the clock to see who can fill their weed bucket the fastest without any dirt/mulch. Of course eldest is discovering the opposite sex so who knows where that will take us -- oh yeah, adulthood 101. LOL

I'm so new to dahlias that I still keep my husband awake nights talking his ear off with the what-I-found-out-today stuff. It was his idea really as were my irises. He started with a tire iron & freebies from the roadside then I found gardenweb.com and connections there led me to Dave's so now I have over 300 named varieties and probably 50-60 unknowns. Last year I added siberians.

Sorry I guess I need adult conversation.... Point is, I am still in the exploring all sizes of dahlias and happened on someone last year who traded dinnerplates for irises. And then I forgot to bring them up to plant this spring until last week. UGGGH!

Roni

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Roni, you go in big for everything! Sons, Iris, Dahlias. I just realized that Iris planting season is upon us and ordered markers. It is amazing how fast the wheel turns. Were your new Dahlias tubers or were they plants already?

And it's OK. Most of us are here to talk to adults - who want to talk about gardening. That limits the field some too. Do you have photos of your garden? You should start a thread with them on it. I'd love to see them.

So chat away - that's what DG is here for. No need to apologize. I love it when my threads take on a life of their own.

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

Doss the dahlias were still in tuber stage, some had eyes like potatoes do and others had nothing. The trader must've dipped them in a sulfuric powder of some sort last fall. The one that has sprouts is the one that had the longest eye. This year's "crop" all gets chalked up to experimentation.

Roni

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Roni, if they're sprouting, they're viable. You might have a little delay this year, or lighter bloom but they will perform great next year..

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the encouragement Doss.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

You're welcome. Just be sure to stake those puppies early or they'll get away from you. And bait for slugs. My constant nemises

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

Ok I must have missed it. Where can I get sluggo, I checked at local Wal but couldn't find it and clerk look liked, "duh -- I dunno."

Should I put up cages now?

Roni

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

When they are about a foot high, pinch the top growth leaves out of them. As soon as they get large enough to start leaning, stake them. Just be sure that you put the cages over them before they get so big you can't get the cages over them.

You can get Sluggo at nurserys and Home Depot - don't know if you have those. I have a mail order source if you want it. The discount stores carry the same product under different names for less money.

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

Have HD here. Will check it out.

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

WOW Doss that's so beautiful love the color never see this one so does it get seeds easy if do, I would love to have some seeds.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I'm not sure that Dahlias grow true from seeds. In fact I'm pretty sure they don't. It's new this year so I don't have any tubers to share. I'm not really well, but maybe I'll try to take some cuttings.

New Hyde Park, NY(Zone 7a)

that is beautiful, I will be putting this one on my want list.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I am too. It's in my front yard and someone is stealing them. :-(

One for the back yard next spring.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

LOL, Doss!
Are you kidding me? Are people really coming up and clipping off your blooms?
Oh dear, guess you should put the good ones in the backyard.
Silly people in this world I guess.
Carol

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Maybe you should get one of those water sprayers that is triggered by motion. They are meant to drive off unwanted animals but it might work on unwanted humans too!

New Hyde Park, NY(Zone 7a)

I could use one of those, would it work on my husband??? :)

Doss, I know exactly how you feel. I had a great show of lilies going and then I woke up one morning to see that 12 stalks had been broken off and stolen! That is a terrible feeling....can't even describe it. I'm so sorry it's happening to you too.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Thanks everyone. The strange thing is that I live on a court and unless you walk up the hill you can't even see the Dahlias. You just never know. It's a cutting garden now for sure. I'll enjoy them all in the house now. It's a good thing that Dahlias last a long time indoors.

However, Bumble Rumble lasts a very long time on the bush. Definitely more than a week, maybe more.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Doss,

Your dahlias is so beautiful. Sorry, I'm so late in getting back on here! Been busy with secret trades, etc. So someone is stealing your dahlias! Ask your own landscaper if he has any of those signs warning people that the property has just been sprayed with a deadly insecticide and nobody should touch anything. Up here they're glaring yellow signs with a big bold WARNING at the top. Then it explains how deadly touching can be.

Maybe if we all put our joint heads together we could have it printed but we need a stern warning. It would have to say, in part, that it "may cause itching and burning of the eyes and serious skin rashes", etc.
We could say it causes people who pick flowers without permission to get hit over the head from behind with a baseball club but that may be going too far. Then again............maybe not!

It sounds great to me, Pirl!

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I do love the evil glee in the thought. Unfortunately, I live on a Universtity campus and the students haven't learned to read yet - or they think that rules don't apply to them. I'm not sure which. :-) Well, yes I am.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Just wanted to say that I got 'Bumble Rumble' at Swan Island Dahlias if anyone wants one.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.