Columbine Leaf Miner

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

Some of my columbine are affected with leaf miner. I treated them twice with systematic but I don't see any difference except that the leaf edges are burnt.

What do I do now?

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

Hi Captmicha..How frustrating.
When I had this problem I cut my columbine down to the earth and as they came up again I hand picked the worms and this way I am able to keep them at bay. There are a few that get through but I am still able to enjoy my plant. Another way is to keep seed and destroy your plant and move newly started seed to a different part of the garden but if you have these demons they eventualy find your plants and then the cutting back comes in to play if you miss the oppertunity to pick them off.
Good luck!
annabell52

Bridgewater, MA(Zone 6b)

Hi Captmicha, I usually just leave them be. If I had them in a prominent place in a display garden, or you really can't stand the sight of the damaged leaves, then I would agree with annabell. They don't affect the plant's growth or flowering, though, so unless you want to wait awhile for them to grow back, you might as well just treat them as you normally would an unaffected plant. It is more a cosmetic issue.

(Zone 4a)

Cur off the infected leaves and burn them.

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

I already cut them down and they've grown back very nicely. It was just an eye sore b/c they're at the front of the house.

When they defoliage in fall, won't nature have taken care of the problem or do they receed into the stems/roots?

Richmond, VA(Zone 7a)

My columbines are evergreen, so no. Plus the critters overwinter in the soil.

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

durn!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.