Coddling moth

Santa Cruz, CA(Zone 9a)

What do you use as an organic treatment for coddling moths in apples and pears.

i have started to look after 5 apple and 2 pear trees, but last year's fruit was ruined by coddling moth larvae inside the fruit, so i would like to avoid this this year if possible, and i may be too late at this point.

I sprayed non organically, twice in the beginning of the year, but want to go organic totally, but i am uneducated as to what to do.

Any ideas.

Diane

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

I've not tried these treatments myself, but they would seem to offer about the best chance of dealing with this terrible pest: http://tinyurl.com/82w9y
One supply at $9.99 should treat up to twenty trees.

Gardens Alive! offers coddling moth traps at 2 for $20. Since two traps are needed per tree, that is a steep way to go, and may not be effective for the second generation in a season.

Good luck!

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

You can make your own trap:

Codling Moth:
For codling moths we carry: Dipel BTK, Garden Dust Insecticide/Fungicide, Rotenone/Pyrethrum Spray
Repellant plants: Any member of the allium family especially chives. Penstemons.

Spray Dipel Btk for first-generation codling moth larva approximately two weeks after petal fall. Repeat every 3 to 5 days at twilight over a two-week period.
In fall practice good sanitation and clean up all the fallen fruit and leaves they overwinter in. Very important.
In July spread a band of sticky tanglefoot around the trunks of trees to trap the caterpillars.
A garlic spray can be useful against the codling moth and the natural sulfur in garlic doubles as a fungicide.
Make a trap for the ones that get away: Mix together 4 1/2 cups of water, 1/2 cup of honey, 1/2 cup of molasses and 1 tablespoon of yeast. Put this into an empty plastic milk jug in which you cut an entrance hole near the top. Run some rope through the handle and hang in the tree. Use two traps per mature tree. Keep the traps up for 2 months and empty weekly. Another bait mixture you can use is sassafras oil and glacial acetic acid.

Got this from http://www.ghorganics.com/page9.html#Codling%20Moth:

Santa Cruz, CA(Zone 9a)

thanks will try these out, what is sticky tanglefoot though?

diane

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

I see it in catalogs a lot, it is probably at most garden stores. In a pinch, use vaseline or something else VERY sticky.

Santa Cruz, CA(Zone 9a)

will check in the garden center.....

Like the vaseline idea, nice inexpensive alternative :)

thank you

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

On second though, it may not be sticky enough, but give it a try and let us know. Tanglefoot is INCREDIBLY sticky to bugs... it comes in a big Parkay sized tub if that helps you find it...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.