Better late than Never

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

This is strictly a novelty cauliflower for me. It waited until hot weather to head up, but the heat doesn't seem to bother it. The cultivar is Graffitti.

Thumbnail by Farmerdill
Southern Mountains, GA(Zone 6b)

Very nice Farmerdill. I'm thinking it greens up to some extent when cooked.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

This one does not. Violet Queen does. Since my favorite cauliflower is raw with French onion dip, I don't really spend much time evaluating color changes, Graffiit is tender but a little stronger flavor than white cauliflower. About half way to broccoli.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Beautiful! I wonder if I could grow it. If I kept it covered with SuperLite insect barrier, would it still color so nicely?

Queen Creek, AZ(Zone 9a)

Oh my gosh, this is the first time I've ever seen purple cauliflower. I just showed it to my granddaughter and she said she wouldn't eat it. lol I would though. I love cauliflower in any way, shape or form.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Actually, this one likes sun, although it is a ferocious wrapper. It colors better when sun hits it. Like the whites, I use Bt to control the cabbage worms, never had an insect problem. The only concern was the long season., but it stood heat very well.

Southern Mountains, GA(Zone 6b)

Seed source?

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

http://www.twilleyseed.com/

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

Beautiful! Nice looking head of cauliflower Farmer!

Victorville, CA

Beautiful head of cauliflower! Mine are just finally sprouting and I told DH that it probably won't amount to nothing cuz it sprouted too late. He likes to prove me wrong all the time though.
-Juli

Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

Wow - I am growing this one too! Of course mine is nowhere near ready! Now I can't wait. I am also growing Brussel Sprouts 'Jade' thought I would have the purple thing going on - some Royal Burgundy beans too....

Victorville, CA

I planted Royal Burgundy beans too. Having a hard time keeping the mice/rabbits off of them so they can grow. Mine are only about a foot tall cuz they keep getting eaten back down. How are yours Bluekat76?
-Juli

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Several gardeners have commented that pouring a ring of manure tea around vegetable beds will deter such varmints. If I had access to manure I'd try using it around the tomatoes to discourage the possums.

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Wonderful!

Where's your Burgundy Okra, blue?

Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

Why it is in the backyard Sequee! LOL It is planted near pineapple tomatillo's, beans and asparagus peas. No blossoms yet.

We don't have too many varmit troubles since our gardens are in a clear cut backyard. We do have a short fence up for the first half of the growing season. All beans are doing great, so far....

My garden is over on this thread - I will catch up with some more pics tomorrow-goes slowly with dial-up!
http://dg.davesgarden.com/forums/t/522566/

-Kim

Loveland, CO(Zone 5b)

Can one grow cauliflower in a container?!?! Pretty pleeease?! :) lol

Sarah

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Don't see why not. They don't have an extensive root system. Whether it is worth the effort is the question. It is a relatively large plant with small production per plant. One head that's all.

Loveland, CO(Zone 5b)

It's not quantity with a three year old... it's quality and shock value! :) Thanks for the advice, FarmerDill! :)

Sarah

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

works pretty well for a 38 year old also...*G*

Sunnyvale, CA(Zone 9b)

Farmerdill,

That is BEAUTIFUL! It looks like a huge flower likened to Hyrangea or something (and you can eat it!) Hmm... I am considering growing it next season.

tmm

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

I am rethinking my designation as a a novelty vegetable. It is very good as a raw vegetable, tender and the flavor grows on you. My daughter came to visit on Father's day and took all I had ready home with her. She likes to work with kids, and believes she can convince kids to eat cauliflower by telling them its grape cauliflower.

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

heck just tell her to buy a gallon or ranch, kids eat anything with ranch on it.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Nope. This old kid, churned a lot of buttermilk in my youth and never learned to like it. Neither of us like anything with raw buttermilk in it. I think that is the only trait she took after me.

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

My DH grew up on a dairy farm and he'll drink milk now but only fresh. I keep tellin him I'm not buyin a cow and putting it in the back yard...

Victorville, CA

Oh Saint, you're no fun. You'ld get free fertilizer.
-Juli

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

LOL I have NO land we sit on .25 for our house and yard. I have enough problems with puppy poo I don't even wanna mess with moo poo. Although he was kinda dancing around us moving to Chile sooner than we had planned yesterday soo I might end up a farm girl before it's all over. *G* I just hope he knows that all the cows get named and the older ones just get put to pasture and not axed. Can't kill anything that has a name so I guess we'll still buy our meat from the grocery store.

Saint

Victorville, CA

Moo Poo! I love it!
-Juli

Los Angeles, CA(Zone 10a)

I thought you couldn't grow cauliflower in hot weather, only i the fall?

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

True, of course folks with moderate climates can grow it all summer, but not southerners. Here we can get a crop in the spring (set in early March, harvested in may and June. and set again in late August for a fall crop. Have to grow a short season cultivar. Once temps start to approach 90 on a regular basis it quits.

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

LOL I found that out the hard way Dill...my radishes, garlic and lettuce didn't make the first cut in April..so waiting till first of Sept.

Victorville, CA

yep cauliflower croaked. too hot.
-Juli

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.