New house, sick trees

Social Circle, GA(Zone 8a)

There are several maples, red ones I think, that are sick. Has anyone seen this and know if I can save them?

Thumbnail by Jenks

Close up

Thumbnail by Jenks

There are two fruit trees in the pasture that are sick as well. It's hard to even tell what they are, but one has fruit that looks like cherries and one has what look like peaches. I'll have to get some photos of them.

No one, huh?

Chicago, IL

Hard to tell much from the pics-- how's the foliage? What other signs of "sickness" do you see?

half the tree has no foilage, the rest is pale and discolored...it is the one on the right.

Thumbnail by Jenks
Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

The trunk damage looks like sunscald, especially if you find it on the south or southwest side. Red maples are very prone to that in hot areas. If you keep them vigorous (water, mulch, acidic soil) and they aren't already too far gone, they may recover.

Curious: with that screen name, are you originally from Tulsa?

Guy S.

It is the worst on this particular tree on the west side. The sun rises in the east, which is directly NE behind this tree in the photo. It looks like, a) someone has tarred these trees, or b) the black ooze has dripped down in the past. There are areas on all the trees that look ill where there are black drip marks. So that area is that is worst is facing SW. The soil is extremely acidic here, should I lime and water? I am confused as to what you mean.

No, I am not from Tulsa, I have spent most my life exclusively in the southeast. What is in Tulsa that is Jenks-like? I got that name from my father. Somehow I (despite the fact that I am tall, thin and blond-and female) reminded him of a former Falcons quarter-back name Alfred Jenkins. "I jump in with both feet", is what he used to say when I asked. Somehow that evolved into Jenks. I hope that wasn't more than you wanted to know, but I am curious as to how my screen name would tie me to Tulsa. Endulge me?

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Red maple likes acidic soil, so that part is fine as is. The main thing is mulch and water -- keep them vigorous (or at least try to restore their vigor).

Jenks is the big high school in the suburbs of Tulsa, where all the big-time football players (and state championships) go. Maybe your dad knew about that also!!!

Guy S.

Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

Unless my eyes are deceiving me it sure looks like almost all of the bark is gone. If not dead yet, it won't be long. Especially for such a common and cheap tree I'd replace it.

Even if it was to survive, a young healthy specimen will quickly pass it and be the tree it was mean to be.

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

I went to Kinder in Jenks! it is a really nice place to live from my few memories....

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.