Black spots on my columbine leaves?

Manchester, NH(Zone 5a)

It looks kind of like the blackspot that roses get. It starts out as literally black spots, then the surrounding area turns yellow. I don't have a photo right now, but I can get one if it'll help. Does anyone know what it might be, and what I can do about it?

Kelly

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

How's your drainage in the area? I don't think columbine get the blackspot disease roses get, but I have seen them suffer kind of like that if they're too wet. Would like to see a pic.

Manchester, NH(Zone 5a)

They're in a container that has several holes in the bottom, although we've also had a lot of rain lately, too.

Ok, some photos. Here's how it seems to start.

Thumbnail by ceallachg
Manchester, NH(Zone 5a)

Here's what it turns into before the whole leaf shrivels up, turns brown, and I pick it off:

Thumbnail by ceallachg
Manchester, NH(Zone 5a)

And here's what the flower looks like. :)

Thumbnail by ceallachg
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Hmmm. It suprises me that it's in a container. That looks like symptoms I've seen before, but if I recall correctly it was an isolated occurance and the infected plant died before I could figure out what to do for it. Ok DGers, put your thinking caps on!

Manchester, NH(Zone 5a)

Oh, no! Gemini, what did you try that didn't work?

I bought two of them, and both of them have it to one degree or another. I've been pruning off whatever leaves I see that have the spots, but so far can't seem to get ahead of it. I think I only paid $5 each for these plants, but I still don't want to lose them! The flowers are just so cool. :)

Help!

Kelly

Manchester, NH(Zone 5a)

I found this on the internet:
http://www.mygardenguide.com/plant_detail.html?id=14709

Fungi : Leaf Spots

Leaf spots are caused by fungi or bacteria. Brown or black spots and patches may be either ragged or circular, with a water soaked or yellow-edged appearance. Insects, rain, dirty garden tools, or even people can help its spread.

Prevention and Control: Remove infected leaves when the plant is dry. Leaves that collect around the base of the plant should be raked up and disposed of. Avoid overhead irrigation if possible; water should be directed at soil level. For fungal leaf spots, use a recommended fungicide according to label directions.

Gemini: did you try using a fungicide on your columbine at the time?

Kelly

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

It's been a few years, but I'm thinking the problem got too bad before I even realized it. I used to be really bad about not paying enough attention to plants after they bloomed.

Manchester, NH(Zone 5a)

Well, I prunced off almost all of the affected leaves (there seem to be new ones every day), and I just bought Garden Safe's Fungicide 3. I guess it's a fungicide, insecticide, and miticide all in one, and it's made from neem oil. Wish me luck!

Kelly

Um... prunced? I mean pruned. :)

This message was edited Jun 23, 2005 12:21 AM

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

That's a good sign that new leaves are sprouting. Good luck saving those babies!

Manchester, NH(Zone 5a)

I have an update:

They're doing so much better! Since my last post, I haven't really picked off any more leaves. I picked off a couple today from the one that had been in worse shape, but only because there was a single small black spot on each of the leaves, and I wanted to stay on top of things. My columbines are finally starting to look healthy!

Kelly

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.