Midday defense against sun

Silver Springs, NV(Zone 6b)

I've noticed the past week or so this year that young dau gawk (yardlong/asparagus beans)leaves change from parallel horizontal position to upright vertical parallel position between c. noon to three PM on noncloudy days. Rather like a change from open book pages to closed upright book.
Miniature sunflowers' (white)blossoms may track the sun to face it, but boy do their leaves droop if top two-three inches of ground is dry, as it usually is by midday if I've watered either night before or around 6 AM. The leaves revive around 6-7PM.
Tomato, squash and corn plants seem to do their height/width growing at night or in early morning before 10AM.

Joshua Tree, CA(Zone 8b)

Very interesting Tashak,how observant you are. What are your Day/Night temps in Nevada? Here it is 90 at night right now. I have to water at night.Day temp today 110

Silver Springs, NV(Zone 6b)

Currently Reno and Carson City forecasts are low 60 night, high mid/upper 90's day.
My roofed porch shaded thermometer and outside on tree thermometer, however, both have been registering 105 plus midday and late afternoon here in Stagecoach.
Last night it was in 80's c. 10PM, low 60's this morning at 4:30AM. 104 on shaded roofed porch right now (c. 3PM PST)
Usually in summer it is 10plus degrees hotter in south state like near Las Vegas NV.
I'm waiting to transplant the seed-started tomatillo and sesame and marigolds etc. until later this week when the Reno/CC forecast is a high in low /mid 80's, and probably will do so at dusk.
Update: two TV channels at 5PM gave highs of 101 and 103 for Reno, and forecast now is for high in high 90's through the rest of the week, which probably means Stagecoach will continue with highs in low 100's. At 9PM, my handlotion was still hot.
The thunderstorms missed us as usual (we're not Albuquerque); at 8 PM, one lightning bolt and half a rainbow were visible to south of us; apparently some drizzle and dust storm about 3-5+ miles to our south.

This message was edited Tuesday, Jul 3rd 12:41 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.