Just learned something cool!

Queen Creek, AZ(Zone 9a)

I took the cap off my snapple and on the inside it had a very interesting snapple fact. "Place an apple in the bag with your potatoes to keep them from budding". How cool is that? I think I'll try it. I have that problem alot in the summer.

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

That's strange, especially as I was told to put a banana or apple in with potatoes to MAKE them sprout.

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

I didn't think you were pose to put em in a bag cause they needed air.

Queen Creek, AZ(Zone 9a)

I'm thinking this is for potatoes you cook with, not the ones that you plant? lol

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

yep but I was always told to put your taters (you cook with) in a basket in a dark place..lets try it...put one tater in a bag with an apple and one without and we'll see if it works.

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

Same diff. You either want your potatoes to sprout (for planting) or you want them to keep (for eating). Now I'm wondering if I got bad advice. Anyway, mine sprouted beautifully; don't know if the fruit had anything to do with it.

W/ potatoes, I think it's generally understood that the bag is a paper one...

Queen Creek, AZ(Zone 9a)

Yeah, it would be interesting to do an experiment. When the kids were home, I didn't have to worry about the potatoes sprouting. We went thru them too fast. The thing about the Snapple Facts is that they do research before they put anything on the undersides of their caps. If you can't trust Snapple, who can ya trust? lol

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Apples give off ethylene, which is known to suppress sprout formation on potatoes. Ethylene also inhibits bulbs from sprouting, which is why they tell you not to vernalize bulbs in your fridge if you keep onions or apples in it.

Queen Creek, AZ(Zone 9a)

This is fascinating stuff.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.