Favorite Pest-Unfriendly Plants

BeachTown, CA(Zone 10a)

I've been doing some research on plants that repel pests, hoping to integrate them into my garden (the plants, not the pests). I'd like to know if anyone has had success with any of these, or perhaps has additional suggestions. I'm open to anything to keep these guys out!!

My location: hot and steamy zone 7b Georgia
Target pests: japanese beetles, slugs, scary spiders, and mosquitoes.

BASIL: repels thrips, flies and mosquitoes. (it was noted not to plant this near rue)

CATNIP/CATMINT: repels flea beetles, aphids, Japanese beetles, squash bugs, ants and weevils. also effective against mice.

GARLIC: (too stinky, I don't want to use this!)

GERANIUM: repels cabbage worms and Japanese beetles

LEMON BALM: has citronella compounds, repels squash bugs, effective if leaves are crushed and rubbed onto skin to repel mosquitoes

MINT: repels white cabbage moths, ants, rodents, flea beetles, fleas, aphids and improves the health of cabbage and tomatoes. attracts hoverflies, predatory wasps and earthworms. (warning that it can be invasive)

PENNYROYAL: repels fleas. effective against chiggers, flies, gnats, mosquitoes, and ticks if leaves are crushed and rubbed onto skin.

RUE: repels flies, as well as Japanese beetles in roses and raspberries. more effective against Japanese beetles if you crush a few leaves to release the smell. (it was specified not to plant this near sage or basil)

COLUMBIA, TN(Zone 6b)

I KNOW THAT PENNYROYAL CERTAINLY REPELS FLEAS. ONCE I RUBBED SOME LEAVES ON A DOG AND YOU COULD LITERALY SEE THE FLEAS JUMPING OFF THE DOG. BETH

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

That's good to know! Although I don't know anything about Pennyroyal. I see it mentions chiggers, so I will have to get some for my parents.

I have been researching this myself. Everything I read comes back to the garlic repelling best. I have Chives. I wonder if they work too? Basil was also one that kept coming up, which is pretty easy to grow.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

i know for slugs that diatomaceous earth is the best esp. if you use the dry sprayer-comes out in a puff-you can puff it all over everything! i probubly didnt spell it right. there is a new product on the market for mosquitos at www.mosquitofree.com. its not near the price of mosquito magnet and alot less work. i havent used one, but i saw it on tv the other day in a news segment. i looked it up and it looks good.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.