Screwed up w/ foliar spray

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

I think, anyway. It's a cloudy day; cloud cover predicted for rest of day. My schedule hasn't allowed me to give the garden a feeding early or late in the day so I seized the moment, ran out and sprayed Neptune's Harvest solution on everything.

Then, as I watched in horror, the sun came out. Thick cloud cover, and suddenly there's sunshine everywhere. Some of the leaves were still wet.

Now it's clouding up again, but please tell me what destruction I can expect tomorrow. Serious burning? I will brace myself. sigh...

Woonsocket, RI(Zone 6b)

Getting the leaves of your plants wet everday in the sun is not recommende. It isn't recommended for one day. A few days ago, I have gotten my outdoor plants wet under the same conditions ( I live in zone 6a same weather pattern) , but I was using Miracle gro, the next day they were fine. I hope yours are too,
but don't make a daily habit of wetting the leaves.

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

I sprayed early one morning after being told it was going to be a overcast kinda day and of course it was full sun. Plants wilted but by the next morning looked fine.

They're fine. Thanks! Don't know why I keep panicking with the garden this year...

Winchester, VA(Zone 6b)

Zep

You having trouble with extreme dryness this year?

I came back from San Francisco two days ago to find most of my in garden plants struggling from no rain at all except a few light showers
Lost most of the peppers and tomatoes. Fortunately I have backups in pots on the deck but the garden is dry as a bone.

I am thinking of putting in a irrigation system should this continue - that will make it start raining.

Geez, Roxroe, you've had the most rotten luck this year. That stinks. Glad you have some backups...

It's dry, all right. I did get a drip system from DripWorks for the main garden, and I hand water the stuff scattered around. So I'm all right (haven't been out of town any time). There's a timer in Lee Valley that looked super easy to use
http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page.aspx?c=2&p=44679&cat=2,2280,33159&ap=1

and not TOO pricey at $30 when you consider the effects of leaving the water on all day, or forgetting to water.

Hope it was a good trip, anyway...

Woonsocket, RI(Zone 6b)

You haven't been able to depend on getting enough rain for the garden. Even though it looks like it will, rain it doesn't. It takes a long time to water all these plants. Between the annuals and the vegetable garden, if I stay with the plants while they are being watered I'd be there 2-3 hours.
I made my own system of watering most of these plants by scoring canals in the soil, about 1-2 feets apart. I then set the hose on top of a brick. When the water was put and ran off the brick it broke the pressure of the water so the water pressure doesn't corrode the soil. You might have to score the soil into a canal while it is wet a couple of times before it stays. After it is established you can put the hose on a brick or rock at the beginning of one of these canals and turn the water and let it run for awhile as you're doing something else.

camp verde, AZ(Zone 8a)

To get the most out of foliar spray, spray your plants 1/2 hr before sundown or 1/2 hour after sun up.

Winchester, VA(Zone 6b)

been over 90 degrees and not so much as a thunder storm.

I gave up on the main garden. Beans and potatoes are hanging in there though. All the backup plants are potted on the decks so easy
to water each night. DH must think I am crazy!

Since I have cholrinated city water I am concerned about the cost and the chemicals of irrigation but I have to make some backup system.
I think the timer is a really good idea.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.