? about arborvitae

Springboro, OH

Wal Mart has the emerald green aborvitae for sale today in my area for 5.00/small, 7.62/medium, and 10.00/large. I've been eyeing these for awhile from the big box stores (larger ones going for 30.00!) as I've been thinking of planting a row of these along one side of my yard in front of a four foot fence for additional privacy from the neighbors. We have a 6ft privacy fence around the rest of the yard. For this price, I'm thinking of going ahead and buying the large ones. The area gets 3-4 hrs afternoon sun, but that may change next year as I have a new neighbor and he states he is planning on cutting down a very large maple in his back yard next year which is shading the area during the morning hours.

My question is do you think they will do ok in this area? Anything special I should do when planting? is it okay to plant these along the fence? any maintenance required for these?

Thanks in advance for your advice and suggestions.

Jen

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

Any arborvitae I've ever planted has eventually started turning brown and just didn't look good. I have finally got all of them dug out and I won't plant another one.

That doesn't mean that they won't do well for you though. Your climate and soil is probably different than ours.

What I would do if I were you, is drive around town and see if there's any growing that have been there for a few years. See how they look, and how they are doing.

Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

I didn't want to be first....

Jen - location is all important. They must get sun; the hose must be close enough to be convenient so you'll keep them evenly watered at least their first year and if your city uses salt in the winter, they shouldn't be close enough to get salt spray from vehicles driving by. That will burn the foliage as well.

water - If that fence is not convenient for watering, you'll lose the trees. They are definitely not what you'd call drought tolerant Even if they appear to make it through the summer ok, many end up with brown skeletons over the winter when the cold dry winds dessicate them to oblivion. Another reason why it's extremely important to make sure the planting hole is wider than the root ball and the first year they get plenty of water so they can develop a good root system. 2 years ago a neighbor paid me to replace 3 that went completely brown over the winter after a hot dry summer and fall. They rarely water if and they do they just shoot a stream around the base for a few minutes. All 3 were about 7' and I thought they'd be hard to dig out since they were 6 or 7 years old. I was able to just push them over. The roots had never spread out. They just stayed in that little hole that was dug in compacted soil only wide enough to fit the rootball. Plus the only water was right in that hole as well.

Next thing is - If they don't get enough sun they won't grow as much. Like Joan said, drive around and see how they're growing around town. I'll bet you lunch you'll find a least one row of them where they go from short and sparse to taller and filled out.

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Mine gets full sun, only occasional water and does extremely well. It is touching the top of the house and is about 10 feet across. Very green, and is about 15 years old.

Springboro, OH

Thanks for the info guys. Luckily, the fence is just beyond my patio so very easily located for watering. Full sun may be a problem though if that neighbor doesn't stick to his plan to cut down that Silver Maple. But, for this price, I guess it is worth a shot. Also, they are going to be planted in the back yard so no danger of salt spray. I have seen a few rows of them around town that look great, and gave me the idea, but both looked like they were in a full sun so, I guess I'll just have to see how things play out. If they don't do too well, hopefully they will be easy to dig up and move.

Jen

Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

rylaff - Absolutely!! On the gulf coast averaging over an inch of rain per week and your ground doesn't freeze solid and stay that way for 2 months, then those Arborvitae never go without moisture. Here's some stats and keep in mind that the "precipitation" we get in Dec-Feb is most likely snow. Your trees definitely attest to the old '1 inch per week' rule. :)

......................Dec Jan Feb
AVG Temp 51.3 49.0 52.2 (Niceville)
......................32.8 27.6 31.3 (Springboro)
......................26.5 20.5 25.0 (Zion)

Avg Precipitation (in)
..J.....F......M.....A......M.....J......J.......A......S......O.....N......D
5.8...5.4...6.5...4.3...4.3...6.1...9.4...6.9...6.7...4.5...4.7...4.6 .........69.2 (Niceville FL)
2.6...2.3...3.2...3.9...4.4...3.8...4.1...3.3...2.7...2.9...3.4...3.0 .........39.6 (Springboro OH)
1.8...1.5...2.4...3.9...3.3...3.7...3.4...4.0...3.4...2.5...2.8...2.1 .........34.8 (Zion IL)

Schwenksville, PA(Zone 6a)

The biggest maintenance problem with Arborvitae, including the Emerald Green cultivar, is the constant snow removal required. The slightest wet snow will bend these plants!!! I moved into a new house last year and there was a row of Arborvitae along the back of the property for privacy. Each and every snow I must go out with a broom and knock the snow from each plant. The row is about 60' long and this a time consuming process. When it snows and I am not home, I panic about the snow load.

That said, they do serve a specific purpose. This is one of the only choices for an extremely narrow planting area. My backyard is only about 20' deep and a deck takes up about 12' of it. A driveway runs right along the back property line and the Arbs really create a 'green wall' of privacy. If you are limited on space, this is a plant you want to consider. If you have the space and really want privacy, then I would opt for a mixed border since Arbs are not fast growing and do not grow very tall. With a fence already in place, you are only adding another few feet of privacy. Many people in this area plant Leyland Cypress, with grow up to 18" per year, and them keep them sheared when they get to the size they prefer. Leyland gets to be a large evergreen tree (maybe 20' wide by 60' tall, check with Dirr), but can be a much better and quicker solution than Arbs. You can bet the privacy you are looking for, attractive foliage, and have no problems with snowload.

When I get home, I will send you a picture of my Arbs. Also agree with above, they prefer full sun and will be slower growing in that much shade.

Springboro, OH

I bought the arborvitae because I just couldn't pass up the deal, but I'm wondering if I will regret my decision. I keep hearing mixed information about these. The tag says they will grow 10-15 ft and spacing should be 3-4 ft, but my neighbor says he has seem them over 20 ft and 10 ft wide. I've heard they grow slow and I've heard they grow fast. I guess all I can do is wait and see how it turns out. I just hope I don't end up doing all this work for nothing if I end up having to pull them up. I have to plant them or I'll never hear the end of it from DH. The bed I've made along the fence is 25 ft long by maybe 4 ft wide which I thought was wide enough seeing how the spacing on the tag said 3-4 ft!!

I'm I going to regret this?

Jen

Springboro, OH

Ok, I decided to take a couple of pics. Here is the spot I'm talking about. They are not planted yet. They are just sitting in the holes. What do you think? Too close? I guess if I don't plant all these, I could see if anyone at work might want to buy a couple of them.

I'll plan on holding off the actual planting until I hear some opinions. Thank you.

Thumbnail by JeniLyn

JeniLyn...that looks fine. Arborvitae don't grow to 10' wide, at least none that I have ever heard of or seen. Maybe they are talking about Thuja trees, but not the Emerald Green cultivar of Arborvitae. Your spacing seems fine, definately not too close! Besides, they at least give you some green contrast against the fence. Inexpensive too!

Good Luck

Springboro, OH

Oh that is such good news SecludedGardens. Thank you. I love the way they look now, but was afraid of them getting out of control. I e-mailed the picture to my friend that got me interested in planting and she said the same thing. But, she said from the picture that they may have spider mites. There are some brown spots on them, but I thought they may have just needed water. Do you see that?

Thanks again. I feel much better.

Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

I agree, that looks good JeniLyn. When you're planting for a wind or privacy screen, you usually place them closer anyway and let them knit together. You could have nice green wall. Water them in and mulch. If they get about equal exposure to light they'll probably do well and it's a protected area so you're not going to have to worry so much about the winter winds. By the looks of the grass under that big tree it appears you're generous and regular with the water. :)

Congratulations and good luck. Come back and give us an update this fall and next spring?

A little brown here and there shouldn't be a problem. Just snip it off and for future reference, you can go in and shear these if you want to maintain a specific heighth or width.

8ft is right, a little brown here and there is normal. I need to shear mine, but I hate to hire someone to do it or it will look all even and unnatural. When I get home from the hospital I will send you a picture of my row of Arbs...I think that is the very effect you are going for.

Don't worry, your doing fine.

Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

Seclude!! Hospital? Hope everything is alright. I'd love to see pics of your Arbs.
These are beautiful trees when they're happy. It seems like most of them within view from the streets around here are all just getting by. A gardenclub friend has a couple on the north side of their house. Soooo lush and dark green. Just make me want to to pet them. :)

8ft...my son Clinton is back at CHOP for his 6th surgery on his leg. We came into emergency Friday night and had surgery on Monday. I am going home today to do a little work and will send some pictures!!! You will like my Arbs although they would benefit from irrigation. I would guess that mine have been here about 13 years, when the house was built. They need pruning, but they do provide an excellent green wall to hide the driveway and garage next door. Plus, I have a very narrow side yard and full size trees would get up the whole yard.

Talk to you later,
Bonnie

Springboro, OH

Thanks guys. I'd love to see those pics SecludedGardens, whenever you get the chance. I'm going to go ahead and start planting them today if the weather holds out. I'm planning on babying them for sure, and once they are more established, I'll send follow up pics.

Thanks for all your help guys!

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Hi,

Hope you don't mind me chiming in. Number one comment - I hope you don't have deer. They are drawn to arborvitae like kids to ice cream. Throughout my neck of the woods you see arborvitae with the first four to five feet eaten down to the trunk. It's not a pretty sight. Mine have been munched on quite a bit but they are not horrific yet. It's a constant battle to protect them.
Mine did not grow real fast - no more than six inches per year in a good year. For a privacy screen, I would probably place them a bit closer. I spaced mine at four feet, as per the suggestion of the nursery man, and I think I'll be a relic before I see them ever touch. That said, I do like their deep green color. I stopped worrying about the snow - they bend but they come back. We don't get that many heavy, wet snows that last long. Good luck!

Victor

Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

It's great too have you jump in with more Arb facts Victor!
I know they wear out the junipers around here. So far the deer haven't moved into this subdivision.... so far. I'm stocking up on venison recipes though. ;)

Springboro, OH

No deer here either, thank goodness.. thanks for the info Victor

Yes, deer do love to eat them in my area too...along with most everything else.

My row of Arbs are an excellent privacy buffer in the narrow backyard.

Thumbnail by designart

another shot

Thumbnail by designart
Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

Wow, That's beautiful! Is this arborvitae the same as Thuja Green Giant?

Moyesii...No...this is Thuja 'Emerald Green'

Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

SecludedG.... that's what I'm talking about!! I love the wall they make when they're happy. Since this thread has come up I've been watching for them as I drive around town. Some of the healthiest rows I've seen are on north and east sides of privacy fences

Those are nice though and thanks for posting them.

8ft...I am guessing these have been here 10-13 years. There is no fence in back of them. Some are dying out here and there due to too much shade and dry soil. I guess I really should water them occassionally!

Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

Oh you know, looking at the pics again they also confirm things mentioned earlier concerning the amount of sun. From full sun they gradually get shorter approaching and under the tree.

We're in another drought situation this year and just came off eight days of mid-high 90's. With no rain in sight and Jul and Aug ahead of us, I'll bet there will be a lot of russet red crispy critters by next spring.

Better run some soaker hoses!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.