Mystery Iris

Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

This beautiful chocolate/burgandy-colored Bearded Iris is driving me crazy! I can't seem to find out what it's called. It's tall (over 3 feet) and was here when we bought our home 9 years ago. It's gone from a couple of stalks to eleven this year. Each one has 3 flowers on it and they're magnificent. Please, someone out there; do you know what it's name is? Thanks for any info.

Thumbnail by marygarden
Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Oh Mary, it is beautiful. I sure hope you find out the name. Maybe Tazzy or laurief can help you. Why don't you send them emails with a link to this thread. They are probably busy and haven't seen the thread.

Judy

This message was edited Jun 15, 2005 7:14 PM

Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

Thank you Judy. I'll do just that. Kind of you to respond.

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Oh goodness it just dawned on me that I left out Wandasflowers, she's wonderful and will help you if she can.

Judy

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

I have that one too....I just call it 'Chocolate' :-)
Hope your able to actually find it's name (assuming it has one)

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

It looks very much like 'Sultan's Palace'

- Rikerbear, you sent me a Chocolate, and when it bloomed I took it side by side with my Sultan's Palace and they are look alikes. Height, form and everything.

It is purty!!

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Awesome! Thanks for the ID.
Glad to hear yours bloomed correctly Sue....seems I sent at least one DGer a yellow by mistake. :-(

Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the input Sue_Wa and Rikerbear I've been calling it "Chocolate Iris", too! And that's good enough for me at this point. I love the name Sultan's Palace and will probably start calling it that.
It's multiplying every year and filling in an area that needs a little drama, so I'm happy, happy. Here's another shot of it.

"In the spring a livelier Iris changes on the burnished dove; In the spring a young man’s fancy lightly turns to thoughts of love.......Author: Alfred Tennyson Tennyson

This message was edited Jun 17, 2005 7:01 PM

Thumbnail by marygarden
Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Mine don't multiply very quickly....in fact I've lost most of them for some odd reason. But I still have a few so will hope they increase.

Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

I wish you better luck with them next year. Last year they didn't bloom as well as they did the year before, but this year they made up for it. Never give up on any of your flowers. I had an old Dr. Huey rose bush that didn't bloom at all last year. This year it's weighted down with flowers. Go figure.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.