Will to LIVE !

High Desert, NV(Zone 5a)

Yesterday i went to a local nursery and found their bulb display filled and marked down 40%. This is an example of what the bags of mixed Asiatic's looked like.

In true cheap skate fashion, i approached the manager and asked if he would sell me the rest of his lilies for $50.

Long story short, i now have 15 Casablanca, 38 Stargazers, 50 Butter Pixies (dwarf Asiatic) and 190 Mixed Asiatics. Out of 273 only 2 were rotten! I paid about .17 cents a piece for them. Of course the Asiatics look like corkscrews, the Orientals are just poking their noses out. I am leaving for vacation in a few days, my husband thinks i'm crazy :) I bought two plastic kiddie pools, i'll drill holes in, fill up and plant. It is the fastest way and i can separate the mixed colours when they bloom. They may look a little silly this year, but next year they'll rock!

Run, check your nurseries... Managers know bulbs that look like this are a hard sell... Make 'em an offer they can't refuse.

Thumbnail by tombaak
High Desert, NV(Zone 5a)

and out of the bag.

"I can breathe!"

Thumbnail by tombaak
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Welcome to DG, tombaak! Always nice to have more lily fanciers among us.

Wow ~ Heck of a deal and that sure is some will to live!

Sand Springs, OK(Zone 7a)

why to go !

High Desert, NV(Zone 5a)

This is the whole haul taken out of the bags last night to breathe and headed for dirt tomorrow morning. That big tupperware container is 14" x 24"

The light from the 10 or so hours they have spent in the garage today has already turned the sad blanched stems in this picture vibrant green and the Stargazers are literally sprouting in front of my eyes!

Thumbnail by tombaak
Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

Wow! You certainly made a haul on that one. Way to go!

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

So glad you saved those poor thing! You will have beautiful swimining pols this summer. LOL. I may have to try that in my driveway sometime. My neighbors already know I'm a little crazy.

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

WOW! Way to go! I'm just 'green' (pun intended) LOL

Marc

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Fantastic thought, great job, wonderful photo! You will love them and they will straighten up outside with some sunshine.

I once bought 40/$10.00 and planted them even though some were moldy. Later I found out moldy is better than dried out because lilies are truly never at rest and should be kept damp. All of mine grew and we now have around 500 Asiatic and 100 Orientals.

The Asiatics will bloom late this month and I'll send more photos. This is how they looked earlier this week. This section only has about 200 - some day I'll have to count them. Then they can put me away!

Thumbnail by pirl
Northwest, MO(Zone 5a)

Pirl...such a beautiful area...more pics please.
Deb

Waxhaw (Charlotte), NC(Zone 7b)

You got a great deal. Make sure to trade one of the butter pixies with me this fall !!!

They will look like "C....p" this year, but next year, they will be back to normal. Just give them sun and fertilizer this spring and they will be happy

High Desert, NV(Zone 5a)

That is EXACTLY what i told my husband! The butter pixies weren't too tall and the stargazers were just showing, but the Asiatics... well C..p is probably exactly what they'll look like... Till next year that is :))) Some even have buds forming on these 9" corkscrews. Poor babies, all (except for a few stargazers, which are en-route to a couple of DGers) made it into the ground this evening, with a bit of 9-9-6 and a lot of water.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.