Blue Hyrdrangeas

Eyota, MN(Zone 4a)

My blue hydrangeas are turning pink! How do I make the soil more acidic - is there a recipe for this?

Perrysburg, OH(Zone 5a)

I apply "miracid" to mine throught out the year. This will help them stay blue, it will take several applications for the blue color to return, just follow the directions on the box and add an extra pinch for good measure!!!

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

The acidic addition to the soil must be absorbed befor the blooms begin to form in order for it to effect their color. If you start adding it as the first leaves flush out each year then your flowers will have the color you want. The more acidic thae soil the deeper the blue.

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

I put aluminum sulfate on mine every two weeks starting very early in the spring. Here is a picture of mine I took this week.

http://www.photoasa.com/disk2/708/62963_bluehydrangea.jpeg

Milford, CT(Zone 6a)

I bought lavender and pink hydrangea a few years back and they have turned the most unreal shade of intense blue...which will tell you a lot about the acid content of my soil. To get the reverse effect if you really want pink or lavender apply lime to your soil!

Loon,your hygrandgea is most gorgeous! I love it!
And believe me, I love the way mine came out this year!
Last year, my blooms were all light pink, I of course, not
knowing miracided them just as they were turning pink to try and change them blue with no luck. Believe or not, this year I didn't apply any miracid, and the blooms are a combination of light pink, light blue, light lavender, and a deeper blue all on one plant! I am so thrilled with it, I've been taking pictures of it time and time again as it gets more blooms. Love that plant!
Lizzy

Shavertown, PA(Zone 5a)

Loon, that hydrangea is beautiful. I have a small one about three years old which is barely growing. It was a hot house plant I got for Easter. I have to admit I have transplanted it twice because of poor growth, but I'm beginning to think I am out of luck on this one. Any recommendations or should I give up on this and try a plant from a nursery. My daughter loves hydrangeas and she just bought a house, what kind of plant would you recommend for a new gardener in Zone 5?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.