Can anyone ID my heuchera?

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

I have a heuchera that I ordered last year and I lost the tag. I got it from Bluestone Perennials. Does anyone know what it is? I really like the variegated foliage and wanted to order more. Thanks!

Thumbnail by DrDoolotz
Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

I just got one last week that looks just like yours and it is called Snow Angel. Does that ring a bell for you?

Cindy

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8b)

I have a Huechera that looks like this...it is called 'Snow Angel', the blooms even look like yours - nice and pink....does that sound familiar??? Very nice specimen by the way, is it in its first season??? Nice size too!!!

Jamie

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

I think it must be snow angel - that name rings a distant bell and I checked and Bluestone does carry that variety, so it must be right. Thank you both for the quick response!

It is its second season - last year it got planted early summer and then this year it moved to my new house with me in early spring, so it's the second year but it got moved between homes, which I think is hard on plants sometimes. I'm pleased with how it's coming along which is why I thought I'd order some more to make some "clumps" of it.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

CMoxon.... that's definitely a Snow Angel. I bought two of them this spring at Menards for $5 apiece. They were the 1 gallon size. Mine are also blooming now.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8b)

CMoxon~

I agree, moving plants can be hard on them, but yours is doing great!! Recovered nicely, and settling in wonderfully!!! I hope my small, little one does as well. How much sun is yours getting, and what have you given as far as fert??? I always like to know what others are doing..;)

Jamie

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Well, mine is in a raised bed and the raised beds just got made this spring. I filled them with a combination of compost, humus, bagged topsoil, and the clay stuff that passes for soil in the rest of my yard. I haven't fertilized yet at all, except for the tomatoes, which are in a different bed. But, it is in new soil with lots of compost, so that makes a difference. Unfortunately, it's presently in full sun. I think they prefer partial shade, but that particular bed is being used as a "holding bed" until I can decide where everything is going, so I'm surprised it's doing as well as it is. Maybe the huge hollyhock beside it is offering some shade?!

Riverside, CA

Don't buy more! Divide it! This plant is so easy to propagate from division, I have them all over, I started with 1 plant!

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

It's definitely 'Snow Angel' - I have three now and love it.

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Ambest, how big does it have to be before I can divide it?

I realize you didn't ask me but that wouldn't stop me now! You can lift the whole plant, gently, and see if you can gently tug at it. It has the exact same root system as the old "Coral Bells" that thrive on division. You just tug at the roots and if a piece comes off you've got yourself another plant. I hope you have it for more than a year, then you're almost guaranteed success.

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Well it got planted last year, sort of late, and then it got moved this year to a different yard, and it has been in this raised holding bed that I have since I moved it in April. The diameter is sort of dinner-plate sized. Maybe I should let it go until next spring. I don't want to kill it by overstressing it, especially in the current heatwave we're having. Whew!

Dinnerplate sized! I'd wait for the heat to calm down and then divide and just drench it with a coffee pot filled with water for a week. Give some compost to the soil to help hold the water.

Riverside, CA

That's right, just lift gently, pull off a chunk, plant and water. You can put them in pots all over your yard in the shade and grow some monsters if you're worried about the heat of summer!

I dug out clumps of the very old coral bells and never got them back in the ground last November. This May I found the clumps, planted them and they are just blooming their hearts out. We had a few feet of snow - God's mulch, over winter, and I guess it protected them. So now, of course, I'd feel guilty even giving them away!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.