Lights?!

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

What do you guys use for lights in your greenhouse?

I went to my local home depot, the light tubes were about 10 bucks a pop and I can just see the fixtures costing double if not more. The tubes weren't even all that long, maybe 3 feet was the longest.

I don't even have a green house, I was going to use these for a seed starting shelf and for four tiers, it's already really expensive with just the lights alone.

I also want to get a greenhouse come fall (if all works out) and I don't know what to use for lighting.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

I use regular shop lights i got at a rummage sale for 4.00 ec!

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

What are shop lights? Those long kinds you see in stores? I need to start hitting the yard sales!

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

Even at the store shop light fixtures are not that expensive

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

They are in my local stores

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

:(

Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

Specific lighting for greenhouses is a matter of intensity. HID lights are suggested in most greenhouses that alter daylength. High output flourescents are great for seedling growing and seed germination in that they don't put out a lot of heat and can cover pretty much all important spectrum illumination.

Here's what we use in our greenhouse. It's a Metal Halide/ Sodium light fixture with 800watts of output. There are two in our greenhouse. The one pictured here is over the propagation bench and the other is over certain orchids that require significant daylength alteration from our own here in Southern California.

Thumbnail by drdon
Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

The bulbs

Thumbnail by drdon
Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

the transformer. It is quite large but makes no noise like some ballasts do for flourescents.

Thumbnail by drdon
Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

I know those types can be pretty pricey. I've been looking at the grow lights on ebay. I don't know how some people can afford to light a whole greenhouse with them! But it would be nice!

I've heard from many people that just plain old flourescent lights are just as good as the fancy, specific lights. Is this true?

Fort Wayne, IN(Zone 5a)

Hey there, the light question is debated ad nauseum but for most purposes standard shop lights are the soultion. The different lights you see mentioned are useful especially when you have plants with specific light requirements. In a greenhouse, you should not have the need for grow light setups because you probably have sufficient sunlight. That is the purpose of a greenhouse. If you are simply looking to have additional light to work by any light is fine, even incandesent, but the shoplights available at Lowes, Menards, Home Depot and Walmart for under $10 for a 4 foot long fixture with two light capability are your best buy. The bulbs can be the cheapest available. Shorter bulbs and special spectrum bulbs can get very pricy.
To start seeds in my basement, I use the 4 foot fixtures hung inside metal racks. I use one cool light and one warm light in each fixture. To increase the value of the lights I hang reflective mylar on all sides of the rack. It can get very bright and is sufficient for most seeds. The lights are set only 4 to 6 inches above the seedlings.
If you are attempting to grow outdoor plants inside rooms with only standard windows to let in the light, you will want to look into some of those more expensive lights but until then, use the less expensive equipment. Jessamine

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.