Do you recognize me?

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

Help, this iris is supposed to be HAPPY DAYS but it doesn't match the picture or old catalog description at worldiris. Therefore, I rule out HAPPY DAYS because I don't think worldiris would be wrong. This plant is very tall, has deep purple-based foliage (PBF) and doesn't appear to multiply rapidly. Form suggests 40's perhaps early 50's.

What do you think?

Thanks,

Roni

Thumbnail by Elizabethtown
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Could that be Huckleberry Fudge???

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

No, It's not that one. Here's Huckleberry Fudge.

Thumbnail by Elizabethtown
Grand Junction, CO(Zone 6b)

Perhaps Jean Cayeaux or a relative?

Jean Cayeux
Cayeux, 1931

TB 38" ML, Glistening pale Havana brown flushed with gold. A very distinct french iris, and an important parent of many later irises. (Phrynré x (Bruno x Evolution)), AM AIS 1936, French Dykes Medal 1931. (from HIPS)

Farmington, ME(Zone 4b)

I just love your Huckleberry fudge!! Do you remember where you got it?

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

Boy Hooked, Do I ever. That was the year the Convention was in DC and it was my first time to an AIS sale. There were so many new one available for like a coupla bucks. I couldn't pass any up, my DH thought I was nuts. Of course, he was right for once.... LOL.

However, there is a seller at the Lily auction who often carries it, goes by the name of Onceinabluemoon. Good dealer and honest seller. You might find one available, mine's come through a pretty rough settling in period and I need to give it more time or I'd offer you a piece of it.

Farmington is near Skowhegan isn't it? DH grew up there.

Farmington, ME(Zone 4b)

Thanks, I'll watch for it!! I went to my first Maine Plant Auction, by the MIS. last month. What fun! Like you I wanted one of everything!

Yes, Skowhegan is about 35 minutes from here. What a small world!
I was born in Farmington and have lived here since.
It's a small town, but it's busy. A college town, kind of quiet now they have gone home for the summer.
Thanks again!
Bonnie

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

Bonnie -- checked many of my usual websites for HF for you and all are sold out unless you want to pay big bucks. Keep your eyes open for Merrill Logging & Excavation it's the family business. ;-)

Thanks for all the help id'ing my newest NOID. Oh well, maybe I'll just pass it on to neighbors who don't mind not knowing what the iris' name is. I'm running out of room for noids.

Roni

Farmington, ME(Zone 4b)

Roni thanks for checking that out for me! No big bucks left for iris. I need gravel, loam and compost.

I'll keep my eyes open for HF and Merrill Logging. Is it out of Skowhegan?

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

Yep out of Skowhegan just off Rt. 2

Farmington, ME(Zone 4b)

Do you get back this way much? It's been an awful year for rain here! Two days for sun and then five to seven of rain! The irises just got pretty when all the rain came again.

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

Once every coupla years. With 4 kids & their activities is hard to find the perfect time to travel. We love to go up in the summer and then hit Old Orchard on the way back down. Maybe we can hook up (no pun intended) next time we come up and do a swap or something.

Farmington, ME(Zone 4b)

Sounds good!

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

It kind of looks like bayberry candle

http://images.google.com/images?q=bayberry+candle++iris&hl=en

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

KA -- I think its older than BC. I grow BC and it doesn't have PBF which the NOID does have very heavy.

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

What is worldiris? I speaking of PBF, I noticed one of my irises had this feature this spring. And then snowpeakiris has the irises that they carry with this feature highlighted. I never knew about it before. Are there any that are all purple?

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

http://www.worldiris.com/public_html/level1/TOC.html :check out the quick fix link.

It's the a HIPS site. To answer your question, I don't know of any that are all purple, although some have more than other. The further up from the rhizome the purple-red color goes the heavier the PBF is said to be. Also, some only show their PBF just before bloom.

Hope this helps.

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

Did you go back to the sellers catalog/website for a match? Usually it is just one they have in stock got mixed up in packing/shipping.

It is VERY handsome--unusual colors.

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

Wanda -- got this one as a trade and it matches the traders iris perfectly but sometimes she's gotten things in trades or mom & pop small gardens that are mismarked because they didn't have the internet for comparison. Here's what HIPS says Happy Days should look like.

http://www.worldiris.com/public_html/Frame_pages/QFix.html -- just scroll down to see what Happy Days looks like.

Mine clearly doesn't match considering it's got a lavender swatch in the middle of the fall. So either HIPS is wrong or the trader is wrong. Does anyone else grow Happy Days?

Roni

This message was edited Jun 17, 2005 10:25 PM

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

Oh dear, that is waaay off! Colors can change from garden to garden, but your form looks more modern that the official Happy Days.

When I was buying a few years ago, I bought quite a bit from ebay. About 1/2 of them bloomed true to the name , though MOST bloomed true to the picture I had been given. Some came from regular businesses & some from private people. On the whole, the private people like zooey & morningdew ended up giving me the best irises.

Roni, I don't have anything like that color . Sorry

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.