Hanging Basket Suggestions?

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Hello, I have four hanging baskets that I'm trying to fill. I was hoping to find something colorful that will spill over the edge and look nice year round. I have one basket that gorgeous, but I believe the flowers are annuals (supertunias and some verbena mixed in) so I was looking for something that will not need replacement at the end of the season. If anyone has ideas for me, I'd really appreciate it. Three of the four baskets will have a sunny East and South exposure, and the last will be a Western exposure with lots of sun later in the afternoon. I'm new at this and don't want to choose something innappropriate. Thanks very much! :) Christina

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

Hi Christina welcome to Daves. If you mix the annuals with pretty foliage plants they will look good all of the time. I have several types of plectranthus with lovely foliage in our blazing Ca sun. Some are even fall bloomers. Your petunias may last you a year or more. Many annuals will last a long time here.
Janice

PS check out the California Gardening Forum. We are having a roundup in a couple of week. Lots of goodies to be had there.

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/510843/

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Thanks! That's a great idea. I knew someone would be creative. So where in San Diego are you that you have blazing sun? I've got nothing but June gloom in scripps ranch. Thanks for the invite!

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

No sun this am. I am just down the road from you in Mira Mesa. Later we will have sun though Lol. If you want cuttings let me know. How far apart can we live?

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Thanks for the offer, but I've got my hands full for now. I went from having no landscaping for 7 years to having a gazillion plants in the last three months - it's truly overwhelming but I'm learning a lot. Sounds like you're about a mile or two up the road - how funny. Take care and thanks again!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.