Does anyone here grow PCI's?

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

I've been developing interest in several other iris varieties (other than the MANY beardeds that I grow), and I was wondering about Pacific Coast Hybrids. Does anyone here have any experience with them? If so, can you share it and maybe some pics (and names) if you have them. There are hardly any in the PF. Thanks!

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

Nevermind. I checked with my local iris farm (Aitken's Salmon Creek) and Barbara said that they are extremely hard to get started here. She also said that they lose them anytime the winter drops below 15 degrees Farenheit. It was her opinion that they're really hard to grow outside of California. *Envying all of you Californians!* :]

Lebanon, OR

Hi Flowerfrensy
I grow them, and I know Keith Keppel grows them, they might be slow to take hold but the ones that did, did very well and increased big time in one year.

Zone 7B
Denise

Picture is of Wild Survivor

Thumbnail by irisloverdee
Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

That's good to know. Would you mind giving me a list of other ones that did well for you? I may not be able to grow them all, but I could probably grow the ones you do, even though you're a bit warmer than I am. Thanks for the input!

Lebanon, OR

The others that I have are as follows
Bi Pink from seedling LOVE IT
Broadway Rose not good for me after 3 years same spot no bloom and same size
Billy Blue Jay
Raffles
Chapter Two
Endless LOVE IT
Mayor
Big Wheel LOVE IT
Unknown that is excellent grower and produces lots of flowers and seeds
Hidden Asset

Hope this helps
Denise

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

This does help! Thanks a bunch! :]

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

Used to be tons of them in the Joy Flint garden at Govt. House in Victoria BC. Haven't been there in iris time for some years so don't know if they are still there.
Inanda

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Flowerfrenzy -

It's odd that Salmon Creek sells PCI. How strange that they say PCI won't grow locally.

I think that your best bet is to contact Joe Ghio at Bay View Gardens.
http://davesgarden.com/gwd/c/520/

If he says that they will grow there be sure to ask about the landscapers special which is 50 seedlings for $60.00. He also has a buy on his 2005 PCI intros. You do need to get the catalog because his website is basically non-exsistent, but he does answer emails.

Evidently they do grow in Washington.
http://www.dunngardens.org/spring/pacific_coast_iris_1.html

The other place that sells PCI in large number is all things iris. You can download their catalog in PDF format .
http://www.allthingsiris.com/pacificcoast.html

I think that it would have to do with the hardiness of the hybrid. Clearly the native grows in Washington.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

I talked to Aitken's today. It definitely has to do with the hardiness of the hybrid involved. I think a lot of them do grow here...it's just a matter of finding which ones do well here. It's now my understanding that they can be hard to get started, but once they are started there are cultivars that do very well here.

Lebanon, OR

I will plant 5 new ones at a time, I might lose one! So far only one of the cultivars has not bloomed and has not increased just sat and sat.
Hidden Asset
Big Wheel
Wild Survivor
Mayor
Endless
All have bloomed by the second year and put on excellent increase here in the PNW in OR...
Have others I am still finding in one bed but after it is done they will all be very nice and visual
Next year if you want more Pictures I will post here.
Here is one taken at another garden

Lebanon, OR

Here is BIG WHEEL

I love it

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

'Big Wheel' is gorgeous! I'm definitely going to have to try a few of these out!

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Just thought that you might enjoy this thread. It sure is beautiful. I just remembered it was there.

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/493877/

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the thread.! I did enjoy it. I was looking in Joe Ghio's 2005 catalog, Bay View Gardens, and I found that he sells lots of 50 unlabled reselect seedlings for $58.50. That is a wonderful deal for landscape plants, if one doesn't care about the names! He also sells them in lots of 3 for only $6.00! I may have to take advantage of that one!

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

He also has a good deal on his 14 intro PCI.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.