Can you bring a tree back?

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

I purchased a very expensive tri colored beech tree last year from a nursery that gave a warrantry. It was plagued from the beginning with aphids and never did leaf out well. I treated it several times last year. This year it was very late leafing out and when the first leaf emerged it had big holes eaten in it and I saw a small white worm looking thing on it. I treated it was a systemic insecticide plus sprayed it and gave it some granular fertilizer and a good watering. It is slowly leafing out starting at the bottom. The top limbs are thin and dead looking.

I'm torn. I don't know what to do. I don't know whether or not to keep trying to bring this tree back or cash in my warrantry on the tree and ask for a replacement tree. This tree is planted up north at our farm. I have a tri colored beech planted here at our city house that has alwasy done well from the beginning and is just beautiful. It has never had bugs or disease.

Does anyone else have this kind of tree and also what are your suggestions? I don't know what to do. I also have an English walnut that is pretty dead but is sprouting life at the ground level. Not sure what to do about it either. It came with a warrantry.

The cheapie trees I bought at Walmart and Home Depot are doing great. :)

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

trade it back in - think of all the cash you are spending on treating the tree. I have stopped buying the costly trees and go Home Depot all the way... Mitch

Queen Creek, AZ(Zone 9a)

Yes, Home Depot is the way to go for me too. The only trees in my yard that didn't come from HD are the 3 Chilean Mesquites I bought from Wal-Mart. HD trees are healthy and guaranteed to grow. I have had NO problems with my citrus trees. My avocado is now doing quite well.

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Well, I went to the nursery where I'd bought the trees and the man was very nice. He agreed to replace the tri colored beech tree and also an english walnut that didn't make it. I felt so guilty calling in my warrantry that I bought two more trees. :) He is going to deliver all four trees and plant them. I told him this time I want them planted properly with soil ammendments and transplant solution. I hope things go better this time.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.