Dicentra -Luxuriant

Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

I have 3 Bleeding Hearts, two Spectabilis one white, one pink, they are fine and looking very healthy. The third is the Luxuriant, I thought it was supposed to bloom all season; instead it is trying to die! I haven't look at it today, it may have finished the job.

They are all planted in the shade under the eaves of the house with the Luxuriant in the middle. Before I write it off I wanted to make sure it wasn't supposed to die back (wishful thinking).

Thanks - Kim

Crossville, TN(Zone 6b)

Sorry to disappoint you but mine flowers and has nice foliage all the way into Fall.
Here is the Dave's File: http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/72947/index.html
I know that it needs good soil drainage.
How far down did you place the root. I think it needs to be 4-5 inches if I am correct. Linda

Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

I kinda knew I was in trouble. It was fine a few weeks ago. They all looked so good together...can't win them all.

Thank you

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I feel guilty now. I just pulled out a ton of seedlings last week in a planting frenzy and threw them out. If I get more I'll try to remember this page and just send them to you, no postage, just a gift - IF I find more.

Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

Aww, Thanks Arlene - take care of your back first - Bleeding Hearts can come later!

-Kim

Now Kim - Bleeding Heart Luxuriant must be easier than baking a frozen pie crust. Even easier than weeding. I'll try to remember (that's the hard part) to look around our others and maybe I can find some babies for you. Regular Bleeding Hearts do die back, turn yellow, and disappear until next spring but the Luxuriants keep on going like the energizer bunny.

Clearfield, PA(Zone 5a)

bluekat76, I could send you some seeds for the Luxuriant Bleeding Heart, if you would want. Just let me know. Mine are going to seed but not quite ready. Sandy

Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

Oh, Thank You Sandy but they are so easy to divide - I might scare one up! How do you know when the seeds are ready? Since I have two others types- the seed pods are hanging there. Do I have to wait until the pod splits, seeds turn black? It would be fun to see if I could grow them from seed.

Lose one hobby - gain another!!

-Kim

Crossville, TN(Zone 6b)

Mine have never seeded but they are only in their second season. Maybe this year.

I have been disappointed in the packaged roots that Walmart sells but this BH has been one of the best buys from them. Linda

Clearfield, PA(Zone 5a)

Yes, the seeds do have to be black. I got so many seed pods that I just keep checking to see when they turn black. I got babies coming up all over the place.

Carry a business envelope with you as you check for ripe seeds! Much easier to collect than from the ground!

Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

Thank you Sandy - ignore my email about how to know.

-Kim

Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

Kim - don't dig it up or plant over it. Just cut off all the foliage and wait till next spring.
Being under the eaves of the house I'd bet it's tough to keep the soil moist. Mine will stay up through most of the heat as long as I keep them wet. The ones along the foundation... they don't stick around long or get near as big.

Clearfield, PA(Zone 5a)

pirl, That's a good idea, I'll do that. Thanks!

Do the same with Columbine if you fancy them and Digitalis.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.