CLOSED: Yuck... what is this?

Manchester, NH(Zone 5a)

I found this thing in a cacoon in my sprinkler. The photos look a little weird because I had to play around with it in Photoshop so you can see more of the details. Can anyone identify this?

Thanks,
Kelly

Thumbnail by ceallachg
Manchester, NH(Zone 5a)

A shot of his or her belly...

Thumbnail by ceallachg
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

eeewwww...ask critterologist

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Looks like a Pupea (ae?) of some sort.
How big is it?

Ric

Manchester, NH(Zone 5a)

Uh-oh... I'm looking it up online, and I'm thinking it might be a Japanese beetle pupa! :(

It's about 3/4 of an inch long.

Kelly

Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

..could be a moth. Put it in a jar and see what happens......a science project!

K

Manchester, NH(Zone 5a)

I could, but I accidentally killed it. :)

The more I try to find out, the more it seems it could be a Japanese or Rose Chafer beetle pupa. Anyone out there know for sure?

Kelly

Keithville, LA(Zone 8a)

Don't know which one, but do know for sure it's some species of moth pupae. You can see the outline of the wings, legs, and antennae in the pupal covering.

John

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

I think it's an Alien...lol.
:) Donna

Tulsa, OK(Zone 7a)

looked like burned meat loaf with a tail! lol... sorry... but was first thing i thought of..

Manchester, NH(Zone 5a)

Thanks, guys. It does look like burned meat loaf, doesn't it!

Kelly :)

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

I believe that it is a cicada that's about ready to pop...Hap

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

ceallachg, you definitely have the pupa of a silk moth. If you can describe to me the cocoon (size, how it was attached to the sprinkler, etc.) I can tell you what species it is. The most common choices would be between Promethea Moth, Polyphemus Moth, Luna Moth, or if you're real lucky a Cecropia Moth.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

If its a cecropia, I wan it.....I hatched one as a child and it was beautiful...so sad to let it go, but it was happy...

Grandma, what big eyes you have.....LOL When you see it you will know what I mean....LOL

Hap

Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

oohhhh, Luna Moths are lovely!

Manchester, NH(Zone 5a)

Hi

It was about a quarter of an inch long, and it was wrapped in a light yellow cocoon that seemed to be attached lengthwise to the sprinkler, but it was definitely stuck at the top, where its head was (I think). Are silk moths good or bad?

Edited to say: The little guy itself was a quarter of an inch, the cocoon was about an inch, maybe an inch and a quarter.

Kelly

This message was edited Jun 16, 2005 12:03 PM

Manchester, NH(Zone 5a)

Actually... I got out the measuring tape to make sure. The little guy was actually about an inch and a quarter, and the cocoon was 2 inches long.

Kelly

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I prefer the meat loaf diagnosis - had me laughing and chuckling!

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

ceallachg, I need to know a full description of the cocoon in order to identify it. It's two inches long. But how was it attached to the sprinkler? Did it have a hanging 'strap' to the top of the cocoon? Was it round or egg shaped? Was it papery thin? Things like that. In my opinion, yes silk moths are good. If you've never seen one before, leave your back door light on all night and at dawn look to see what came to the light. Silk moths usually have a wing span of approx. 6"! They are stunning. I have reared and bred them since childhood. My wife still can't believe that I have my moths in the freezer! One of these days I'll get them mounted.

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

ceallachg..........keep an eye out, the moth police are gonna come looking for you..........

Manchester, NH(Zone 5a)

Shoot, Deann, I didn't realize they read this forum! :(

Anyway, like I said it seemed to be attached lengthwise, but was definitely most strongly anchored at one end. It was elongated more like an egg, and it was thin enough to see through it a bit.

I'm starting to wish I hadn't _accidentally_ killed it. ;)

Kelly

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.