red twig dogwood

Pikeville, TN(Zone 6b)

Can anyone tell me whether you can prune this shrub by half to reduce size without losing the great fountain shape? I have 2 in a large border that have never been pruned (they are 5 years old) and have gotten so big they are starting to shade some full sun plants around them.

Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

If it's been that long, they probably don't even turn red anymore.
You can prune / shear these and keep them must shorter but They'll send out new branches at the first node below the cut.
I'd reach in and take out the biggest and oldest right at the base. Then shear with loppers or a hedge trimmer if you're in a hurry or hand prune it down to the size you want. This will let light in the middle and it will respond by sending up new growth from the inside. Next spring, take out a few more old ones right at the base and then do your shape pruning. This is slower but eventually you'll have nice bright red twigs in the winter again.

OR - just shear it into the shape and size (maybe even a little shorter because it'll respond with new growth) now.
Then next spring, you can cut down completely before buds break. By the end of the season you'll have brand new 4'+ plus bushes and then you can start taking out a few of the biggest each spring. I just did mine again last spring since I used to keep them sheared into a 3-4' hedge form. Now... I'm just letting them go to their desired height and taking out side branches that are in the way and a couple of big ones each spring.

Pikeville, TN(Zone 6b)

thank you, that was great help.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.