Pine needles

Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

I asked to gather pine needles on Free cycle.....how ever, I'm not sure if its ok to put the pine needles around all my perenials. I know the Blueberry bushes like them and I heard hydrange's enjoy the acidity ---- what about other plants? Anyone know? Do you use pine needles? I put a boat load around the bluberry bushes and the Hydranges,and I still have offers for me to come gather other peoples pine needles coming out of my ears. Thanks, Jill

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

I put them around all my beds in my front lawn. The plants mulched with pine needs include Hostas, oakleaf Hydrangeas, Hellebores, Azaleas, Daylilies, Daffodils, Clematis, Loropetalum, and Caryopteris, Pachysandra, plus many annuals (pansies, impatiens, tulips, caladiums, etc.) Absolutely no ill-effects after several years of use on most of these plants (some of the plants are a bit newer to the beds than others, but everything's been in there for at least a year now.)

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

Somewhere you should be able to find a list of pH requirements for perennials and shrubs... We only have a few evergreens, and they started growing better when I started leaving the pine needles under them. You are so blessed to be able to get other people's!

If you end up with too many, call your local extension agent. They usually have gardening programs for youth, or a Master Gardeners group performing community service.

Best wishes Jill!

Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

Cool, thanks Terry and Tamara, I'll definetly snag some more pine needles with all the offers, cant beat 'free' or 'freecycle' ----- Have a great week! Jill

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

I am evergreen with envy.

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

:-D

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.