Suggestions for My Phals While I Vacation Pls???

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7a)

Hi all,

I'm going away for 6 days, know what to do for most of my houseplants, & happily succulents specialize in doing w/o water, but what shall I do abt my 2 Phals?

One's regular size & recently ailing (new small central leaf shriveled up & I cut it out); other's a miniature & just fine. Am wondering if 'sphag & bag' is the way to go, but am leary of rotting their roots (they grow in sphag already). Would wicking them be better or worse than 'sphag & bag'? Pls, thoughts, suggestions, anybody; am semi-desperate!!!??? TIA

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7a)

PS. Forgot to include my ludisia, which has been in bloom since April (this seems less fragile, & I'm thinking bagging it should be OK). Thx again

Petaluma, CA

I think I'd bag the phals, but very loosely, even to setting each inside a produce-type bag with the top wide open (you know how they hate stagnant air). I expect they'll be fine for less than a week. Also I'd cut down on the light a little and they'll slow down their metabolism for that period.
YOU HAVE A LUDISIA BLOOMING NOW????
How'd ya do that?? Congratulations!

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7a)

Thx PerLite, appreciate the suggestion -- but leave the bags open? Won't they dry out then (or should I water really well before doing this)? Good idea to lower the light levels a bit, am so new to orchids I wouldn't have thought of that. Good tip!!

Can't take the credit for blooming the Ludisia -- was a party gift from friend (orchid & succulent grower), she gave away abt 10-15 of them, small ones all in bloom. Charming beyond words (I don't find the blooms insignificant at all (as others have said)).

PS PerLite -- when do Ludisias usually bloom? Is it the wrong time of year, or that it's past its blooming season?

Santa Cruz, CA(Zone 9a)

I left my phals for a week too and they did fine. I put them in the bathtub filled with about 2 inches of water resting on top of inverted terra cotta saucers to provide moisture (it was summer and these guys need humidity) It was away from the sun but got indirect sunlight and they didn't touch the water. I also watered thoroughly before I left. These were placed with all my other houseplants.

Petaluma, CA

pG, that's a wonderful idea for just about anything! I'll definitely try it myself next journey.
PG, Ludisias are winter bloomers. I don't consider the flowers insignificant either, but I must confess my interest in them began with the foliage. The blossoms are a wonderful plus.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.