The Good Samaritan

Lomita, CA(Zone 10a)

I was outside, struggling to weed my garden alone, which I hate doing. No, I don't hate weeding. I like weeding. I hate doing it alone. I can reach most of it with my grabber, extending hoe and extending trowel and have my own system for getting those little buggers out of there. But, I can't get all the way to the back and I hate being out front alone in the Jersey heat and humidity in case I have a seizure...

Anyway, my next door neighbors noticed me struggling more than usual. They inquired and I explained that my grabber had broken beyond repair. So, I was having more trouble than usual. And, my husband has been out of work and I didn't want to ask him to get me another grabber just yet. They drove away...

An hour later, they pulled up and handed me a brand-new, heavy-duty outdoor grabber! They just handed it over, accepted my stunned thanks and walked away.

Just when you think the world ain't a good place... someone comes along and knocks you on your butt with kindness!

Barb

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

How wonderful that thoughtfulness and generosity are still alive!

Lomita, CA(Zone 10a)

Ain't that the truth???

And, I find it here at DG everyday, too...

Barb

PS - Darius, still looking for a wintergreen jelly recipe. But, I was thinking I could use the "tea" from the sterile water jar/leaves as a flavoring for the jelly, couldn't I?

I don't see why not!

I don't see why not! Adapt a recipe for mint jelly.

Lomita, CA(Zone 10a)

And the crushed and strained berries for color...

Hmmm, I wonder if they will stay red during cooking/processing?

Lomita, CA(Zone 10a)

Nothing like hijacking my own thread, eh?

Barb

LOL!

Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

You go girl!!!

I've been involved in the 'disability arena' for 34 years. The two most important things I've learned from my involvement are:

WHERE THERE'S A WILL ~ THERE'S A WAY!!

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER GIVE UP!

Lomita, CA(Zone 10a)

Amen!

Tulsa, OK(Zone 7a)

Thats just wonderful yes lots good people yet around.. they blessed you they will be blessed to.. Sorry your husband is out of work to.. blessings.. Twyla

Lomita, CA(Zone 10a)

Thanks, Twyla! We are hoping for a job offer this week, if all goes well. Did you see my post in the seed trading forum about sending see for my daughter's project. I wanted to thank all of you and let you know how she did...

Barb

No. San Diego Co., CA(Zone 10b)

Bless their hearts, BassetMom - what a wonderful thing for them to do. Bet they sleep sound. :-)

Lomita, CA(Zone 10a)

They love that we have a big garden between our two front yards. As I am out there every day checking on things, they are always asking about this plant or that flower. They didn't even mind when our gourds took over their front yard last year!

Barb

Scotland, United Kingdom(Zone 9b)

Hi Barb,
What fantastic neighbors you have!! You are right though, just when you start thinking there's not any decency in the human race, someone will come along and make you know that it's still there! And what a really sweet thing to do!! With all the goodness that you give to the world, it's nice to know that the good karma finds you...and it will also find your neighbors, just when they least expect it!

I've got a box of goodies started for you, but I've got a few more things that I want to pick up in town to add to it, but I won't be able to go into town until next weekend or the one after (depending on the weather). And then I'll get your box out to you. I also thought I'd address a package to your daughter and put a few pakds of 'Scottish Wildflower' seeds in it. But having nannied for 14 years, I know you never ever post something to one child and not the other, so if you could let me know something that your son likes, I'll address a package for him as well :D Hope you are having a great day!!

I'll speak with you soon!
Shelley

Lomita, CA(Zone 10a)

Ah, Shelley, you are a dear... And, yes, Ben is feeling a bit left out with Ellie's project getting so much attention. He helps out with it all the time, in spite of his lack of recognition. Ben loves Scottish things, too. A "Braveheart" and "Monarch" fan as well, he also likes to garden. But, he likes things he can pick and eat on the spot, beans, peas, etc. He has expressed an interest in roses but not much beyond that. He loves any and all sports as well.

Barb

Oh Barb, I'm so glad to know he likes the gardening he can pick and eat...I think most males seem to be that way aren't they? If they are going to garden they want the things that they get a reward for tending, ie fruit or veggies, and then the appreciating flowers or leaf forms comes as their addiction to gardening grows...well that's been my experience with males who garden at any rate...I'm sure that there are probably many here who would tell me I'm dead wrong LOL So please tell Ben that there will be some goodies for him also...and he can decide if he wants to just grow them all for himself or if he wants to keep some and donate others :o) What a great guy he is to keep doing so much with little recognition...that's something rare and special and will take him a long way in his adult years!! You are definitely blessed to have such great kids!

Speak with you soon!

Shelley

Lomita, CA(Zone 10a)

Thanks, yet again, Shelley. The BassetHusband is laughing at your description of male gardeners. When we finally bought this house, he put in creeping phlox, clematis, bleeding hearts, a dwarf jap. maple and wildflowers for himself. Though, he does like to pick my strawberries!

Barb

ROFLMBO!!! I am so thrilled there is a man out there who appreciates the flowers!!! That must be one of the many reasons you married him ROFLOL He's a man after my own heart...those were among the first things I planted when I moved over here - that and a couple of irises...my home just isn't home without irises :o) Fresh grown strawberries? Do you get to pick them when they are red ripe?? *Drooling silently* LOL We have more than 30 Strawberry plants...they were all out back in the fruit garden, but the birds kept getting them just as they were ripening, so we thought we'd move some to the front garden and I edged my herb garden with strawberry plants...the birds didn't get them, they didn't get a look in...Sherkahn on the other hand (our dog) gorges himself silly on ripe strawberries...so we either have to pick them when they are pink and unripe and let them ripen on the window sill or we have to buy them from the shop or go to a 'pick your own' farm down the road!! I wanted to grow blueberries as well, they aren't common over here, so we bought a couple of bushes....again, the birds and Sherkahn got them the first 2 years....so we have now put them in pots and keep them in the greenhouse with the door shut....and as long as the phesants don't force their way into the greenhouse I do actually get a few blueberries LOL Of course I'd never known a dog to go nuts for fruit...but worse, our veg patch has to be fenced in to keep the dog out...or he'll go in and help himself to tomatoes, broccoli, beans and peas...he even likes lettuce and radishes!! The only things safe are the carrots and potatoes! Never mind slugs, snails and aphids, Sherkahn is definitely the biggest pest in our garden! And I've attached a pic just so you can see the fruit and vegetable theif LOL he looks so innocent doesn't he? :o)

Thumbnail by Sassy_Pumpkins
Oakland, OR(Zone 8a)

He sure does. His expression is "Who, me?" Fences are good when needed. Hope you get a few more fruits and vegies this year. Dotti

Lomita, CA(Zone 10a)

Grabber, good neighbor, dog and strawberry related...

Found a 4'-5' foot snake in my strawberries today. I don't generally mind them (as long as I don't have to be too near them) but he was stuck in the netting that keeps out the birds and squirrels. These are in the front where the dogs can't get them (see, I got the dogs in the story). Neighbor heard Ellie shrieking (she was torn between terror and amusement) and came running. We retrieved scissors and grabber and he extricated the snake from the netting, only to have the stupid creature go right back in. After a second retrieval attempt, Fred grabbed the snake with the grabber and carried it back to the woods.

The DH would have been no where in sight, had he even been home. He does not like creepy crawlies... He just called from work to check on me and was not amused by my story. I wonder if he'll even come home...

Yes, Shelley, we have been enjoying 4" and larger strawberries, red and ripe and warm and delicious. I got 50 plants from a mail-order place and they yeilded very well this first year. They are proported to grow as big as peaches the second year... The runners have been all over and I hope to root off some for Ellie's sale next year.

Barb

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.