Sweet Annie

Perrysburg, OH(Zone 5a)

I discovered sweet annie a few years ago, I just love it, but now I have a problem, I let it go to seed twice and nothing ever came up, so last year I decided to try it one more time. My entire veggie garden is now FULL of sweet annie I haven't the heart to pull it up the tomatoes and beans seem to be fighting it pretty well. My question is that I've heard that people buy sweet annie to dry and use for crafts and such, I was wondering how much it goes for, because I might be able to sell it at my local market this fall. Any advise or suggestions would be great.
Thanks,
Becky

Silver Lake, OH(Zone 5b)

My dad used to plant a whole field of this behind our house in the country. He put it into bundles you could wrap your hand around at the base and sold it for $5 a bundle. But it depends on your market... if you have a lot of craftsy folks who want it you could charge more...

Sweet Annie makes GORGEOUS fragrant wreaths (soak it in water for a while to soften it) and when the fragrance fades you can bring it back by spritzing it with a little water.

Enjoy... and if you want to grow it elsewhere, pull it up by the roots BEFORE it starts to drop seeds. Unfortunately you will probably have Sweet Annie throughout your garden as a weed for many years to come. It's persistent!

I love it though... I'd love to plant it beside our house here by the windows so the fragrance would come into the house... but haven't been able to find enough to make a go of it.

have fun --
Janiejoy

Port Huron, MI(Zone 5b)

Hey BJT72....if you have any seed, I would love to trade you for some..please email me..i have never heard of it and would like to try some as you make it sound so wonderful and fragrant
Sandy

New Paris, OH

If you don't get the stuff out of your garden before it goes to seed again you will have nothing but a Sweet Annie garden. been there, done that about 4 years ago and we still pull lots out of the garden.

There is a market but with all garden crafts it often takes a few years to build up that customer base.

Sweet Annie is a moth repellent so bring some inside at least for yourself and you could make swags of it for gifts.

It is a beautiful plant.

Perrysburg, OH(Zone 5a)

Thanks for the great advise everyone, and I will have plenty of seed for anyone who wants some!!!!
Becky

Brasstown, NC

Would love to have some seeds. Maybe I have something to trade if not I'll gladly do SASE.

Thanks

Trenton, MI

Becky,
I would also love some seeds. Be happy to trade or send postage. Is there anything you would like?

Montevideo, MN(Zone 4a)

OHHHH!!!!! I would also LOVE some seeds let me know what u want! TY, Jennifer

Perrysburg, OH(Zone 5a)

HI everyone!!!
The seeds aren't ready yet, but when they are I will have plenty for all!!!!
Send me your addy's if interested!!!
Becky

Mercer, PA(Zone 5a)

Hi, I am TCfrom Ky's wife, Maureen, and I love sweet annie, however, I always buy plants cos it doesn't reseed well for me. Today, a friend of mine told me to just put a branch on the soil and put a rock over it so it doesn't blow away. This is after it has made seeds, of course. You will have tons of plants there next year. Can't wait to try it- she dug up her little seedlings and had five rows in her garden. I was just at a craft show today and bunches were selling for $5. Also, ugly dye sprayed purple PEEGEE hydrangeas were selling for $8 for 3! Just goes to show people will by anything!

Bloomingdale, NJ(Zone 6a)

Would love some seeds too!

Horn, Netherlands(Zone 8b)

Becky..I'ld like to try some too..please. I think we don't know this here in the Netherlands. What's the latin name of it..anyone knows?

Milton, FL(Zone 8a)

Saya,latin name is Artemesia annua.

Horn, Netherlands(Zone 8b)

Thanks..I've tried to find this one on Dutch sites...nope..so I guess it is'nt that wellknown overhere as it is in USA..I'm still sorry I could'nt help you out Gone2seed.

Milton, FL(Zone 8a)

No problem Saya.If I had known you were in the Netherlands I wouldn't have asked.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.