Orange echinceas

Cramlington, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

I just bought Echinacea Mango Meadowbrite. My favorite color is orange, and I can't wait to see the buds open.

Please share your experiences with these new cone flowers. I'd love to hear what you all think. And I'd love to see some photos of your plants.

Sue

This message was edited Jun 12, 2005 10:01 AM

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I can't find any here but have been looking for them...were they outrageously expensive? Who cares LOL.

Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

I put in 5 last year and have 3 that came back. The first one is blooming and is most vigorous. I think some of the places were a little heavier and wetter than cones like.

They are pretty though and was an instant 'Must Have' for me. I'll post pics tonight.

There are also 2 other orangish ones out now, Sunset and Sunrise I believe.

My plant was $11.99 (and I got it when the nursery was having 20% off perennials) so I thought that was a good deal.

At another nursery this weekend I saw some 'Sunrise' plants but they were very small indeed.

Thumbnail by kniphofia
Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

Ohhh, you got a good deal then. They're second year out (orange meadowbrite) but they still command $$$. Flower and Scent had them at like 6.99 or something. Unbelievable but true, even if small.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

You guys need to harvest the seed and trade with them this fall, hint, hint!!!
Carol

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

8ft meant Flowerscent Gardens. He's out of them now, MAYBE he'll have some later this fall.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I'd like some photos of the flower. I was orange shy for far too many years. Now I have one plot with orange, white phlox, pink Echinacea, yellow Richard Wallace canna, tall white Longiflorum lilies, the blue of Russian Sage and three Orientals whose name skips my mind but so do many other things. I'd like to squeeze it in there.

Clearfield, PA(Zone 5a)

Would the Orange Meadowbrite come true from seed?

Haydenville, MA(Zone 5a)

I had the Mango meadowbrite and the Orange meadowbrite last year...they were both lovely....mango was mango colored and the orange was a deep red-orange. Unfortunately the orange was eaten by voles....it has been replaced. the mango is back and budding up...can't wait for the reprise. they bloomed like crazy the first year from a small plant - 3" pots.
The picture is not great but shows the difference between the two colors.
They are both hybrids and I don't think would come true from seed, if they even would produce viable seed....Didn't collect last year....will try this year.

Thumbnail by esw

Oh they look wonderful together!

Now I REALLY want the orange one :)

Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

first cone flower bloom of the season on an Orange Meadowbrite from last spring. This plant really settled in and has already made a nice clump from that little 2 stalker last year.

Thumbnail by 8ftbed
McKinney, TX(Zone 8a)

Wow! It has definitely settled in. Can't wait to see mine next year now. I bought my Mango Meadowbrite back at the end of April in a gallon pot (though it could have probably fit in a pint pot). It was a good price though being $6.99 and at a local nursery. It's bloom really started showing color about 4 weeks ago and the bloom is still on the stalk and a new one is coming up from the bottom. It's still in a pot, because I we still have not moved, but here it is this morning. I had the flash on and it's a little blurry, but you can kind of get an idea of it.

Thumbnail by sweezel
Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

In esw's post above, I thought the mango looked alot like the Paradoxa I started from seed this winter. I have one about to bloom and am axious to see if it compares to the pics I ordered by.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Well...I MUST have some so I will continue to look.

Haydenville, MA(Zone 5a)

Paradoxa (as compared to the Mango meadowbrite) has a dark brown cone, thinner petals that droop and twist ever so slightly and is bright yellow, not creamy yellow/mango color. (I am trying to locate a picture....as I recall I had only one bloom last year- the first for me)

Haydenville, MA(Zone 5a)

Ok, the best I could do....a picture taken near dusk and the paradoxa is a little out of focus, but the colors are correct...

Thumbnail by esw
Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

Did you grow them from seed? That foliage looks different with the serrated edges more like most cones. Mine have long slender leaves. One is about to bloom. I'll have to look a little closer and see if foliage on the flower stalk has changed.

Coventry, RI(Zone 6a)

I think I'm the only gardener in the world that can't keep coneflower more than 2 years.... its really frustrating.

-Lu

Haydenville, MA(Zone 5a)

8ft- the yellow in the foreground are rudbeckia....the single yellow in the background at the right is the echinacea paradoxa, it has leaves that are like the angustifolium...long and narrow, not arrow shaped like the E. purpurea...and not at all like the rudbeckia though the yellow/brown motif is there.

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

I picked up a large 'Sunrise' for $11 last weekend, full of buttery-yellow flowers. (Image should be coming through the PlantFiles newsletter in a day or two ;o)

Haydenville, MA(Zone 5a)

Here is a better shot of the paradoxa...just coming in to bloom

Thumbnail by esw
Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

you been in my backyard? Hmmmm? ;)

I've had my first bloom from those I started from seed and that's it.
I've got another new cone starting to bloom (forget the name as I added several new ones this spring). It's petals are more like the traditional purples but it's a very soft powdery yellow. I'll see about getting a shot - and name - this afternoon.
The orange is putting on a pretty good show this year as well but I can see it needs to be more towards the front of a bed as it's not as tall as the Magnus.

Haydenville, MA(Zone 5a)

LOL 8ftbed...no have been sneaking around the garden waiting for it to warm up a bit...
Do show us the orange again. I had to plant babies again this year...they are probably not going to bloom until next year. The mango meadowbrite has some buds for me, not open yet.

Mount Prospect, IL(Zone 5a)

My Mango meadowbrite just finally bloomed for me. its gotten rather leggy and don't know if I should trim it down or just let it be. I'm afraid I won't get any more flowers for a while if I do. It cost 12.95 for a 4 inch pot.

Haydenville, MA(Zone 5a)

Mine stretched out a fair amount....I cut back some of the stems and it shot up some more....but I didn't cut back very severly so it stayed a bit leggy. I don't know how severly it can be cut back and still bloom. If it is really leggy, it might do better with more sun?

I'm enjoying blooms on my Mango Meadowbrite now. It's a beautiful color.

Thanks for the input everyone!

Thumbnail by kniphofia
Mount Prospect, IL(Zone 5a)

Maybe if I clear away some of the other plants, as you say, is probably the reason of the long stems. I may just go ahead and trim it down a bit since it didn't hurt yours.

Haydenville, MA(Zone 5a)

knifofia - Very nice! mine are a bit behind....

Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

Best of 3 clumps of orange

Thumbnail by 8ftbed
Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

part of the bed they are in. You can see why they need to be out front. All three clumps are only this tall whereas I've got purples with blooms approaching 4'.

Thumbnail by 8ftbed
Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

sorry about the 2nd pic. I accidentally posted a full size vice a web-ready version.

Haydenville, MA(Zone 5a)

8ftbed - Lovely to see.....your garden looks lush! Show more please!

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

I ordered 2 "Art's Pride" coneflower from Flower Scent this spring. He had some sort of mix up and said they could be "Mango" (I think). I also think Meadow Brite and Art's Pride were being used interchangably... regardless they are both supposed to be orange. Here is the first bloom on one of mine on May 31... both have several blooms going right now.

Thumbnail by texasgarden
Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

And here is the other one. Soooo, I'm not sure what I ended up with, but I like 'em either way. :)

Thumbnail by texasgarden
Haydenville, MA(Zone 5a)

Texasgarden -
They both look like Mango meadowbrite. Art's Pride is a more bittersweet/dark orange with a dark cone.
In this pic from last year, the Mango meadowbrite is on the left and the Art's Pride or Orange meadowbrite is on the right.
I had ordered both as 'Art's Pride.'

Thumbnail by esw
Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

yep... Orange Meadobrite / Art's Pride is the same plant. I'm not sure why or how they had 2 names like that.
Tex - you got the Mango which isn't a bad thing! :) That's on my short list and speaking of Mangos, I wish a had a couple I could buy off the street in the Philippines. oh, mannnn

This is that other one I was talking about. Except the flower color is washed out. It's actually a very soft yellow. It's called 'Sunrise'.

Thumbnail by 8ftbed
Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

don't want to hijack the thread but here's a couple of recent shots

Thumbnail by 8ftbed
Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

One of my variegated Yucca is blooming. Some campula, happy returns daylily, and a favorite asiatic to the right, dahlias waiting their turn to the left and some blue phlox and Peace in the foreground.

Thumbnail by 8ftbed
Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

a front angle from this morning but had had changed the focus and it's not very clear.

Thumbnail by 8ftbed

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.