Job's Tears, anything I should know about growing it?

Arroyo Grande, CA

I have started some Job's tears, is there anything special I should do in growing it? I liked the name and the inflorescences colors and the seeds.

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

You actually got this started from seed? Wow, that is impressive, I tried this once and the seeds are incredibly tough. Needless to say I failed miserably trying to start this. I looked up this plant in my AHS book and it says under the cultivation paragraph, "grow in light to medium, fertile, moist but well drained soil in a sheltered site in full sun. During the growing season, water freely".

Hope this is some help?
Joann

Arroyo Grande, CA

No, just put them out in the filters, but I am optimistic. People have been growing them domestically for four thousand years, they can't be that difficult.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

The seeds like some warmth to get going. Many put them on heat mats but I have never worried about it. They self seed in MY zone so you probably want to keep an eye on them. LOL Buy yourself some nice needles and prepare to make jewelry. :)

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Badseed, do you ever have a baby Job's tear or two to share? I would pay your postage. Joann

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I will check the front beds. I think I pretty well nuked them all in the back but may get surprised. LOL I took a bobcat, tiller and sod to the back. I think my daughter left a pot of them by the pond though. They do like to self seed. I have seeds but they are a couple of years old. Let me check when I get out tomorrow. :)

Arroyo Grande, CA

Good, I like self-seeders and those that spread by underground runners. Give the weeds a run for their money. You gotta be tough to survive in my yard.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I have to ask, I have been watching all your seed starting posts, etc. How much land do you have out there?

Arroyo Grande, CA

Not enough, so I have to cram them all in and keep them pruned. About a quarter acre, but with the steepness of the slope, I have more surface area. My wife thinks it looks like a jumbled mess. When I get discouraged, I silently agree with her, but it is fun.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

LOL I pulled a bunch of plants out of a front garden today. It started as the butterfly garden but umm, it got kind of packed. LOL As hubby was leaving for work, he said "Boy, that garden has really filled in!". So I asked which one. He laughed and said "All of them!". :) I also only have 1/4 acre. The front is more or less down to paths of grass. I just ripped out my pond and a big garden to give the kids back some lawn space. THAT KILLED ME! By the time I killed my tiller and bought a new one, rented a walk behind bobcat and paid for sod....I could have bought a lot of plants for the price of that lawn. LOL

Arroyo Grande, CA

No lawn, house is right at the front of the lot, some deck, a little bit of sidewalk, mostly just moderately steep hillside. It all can be planted and I have been doing my best to get it done. Too steep for tillers, tractors, any mechanical equipment, except a weed wacker and a shredder, that is where it will be for a long time. Fortunately the lot goes street to street so I do have access from above and below. My plan was to have 2,000 different species and varieties of plants. I am well on my way, just have to get these seeds to grow and plant them and the remaining 400 in pots.

Arroyo Grande, CA

Job's Tears has sprouted, all of them, and are now in a six packs. They are vigorous plants, will not stay long in the six pack, voluntarily.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.