Penny McHenry's Garden

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

I just got home from visiting Penny's garden. For those who aren't familiar with her, she's the founder of the American Hydrangea Society. I took pictures, but I don't know that I should post them (if I ever learn how) since it's a private garden. Anyway, needless to say, her garden is gorgeous! Her driveway is lined with Annabelles (all in bloom). She has the most gorgeous hydrangeas everywhere, and has no grass in her backyard at all. Besides hydrangeas, she has the largest Daphne Odoras you've ever seen. What amazed me so much is that she has clematis growing throughout many of her hydrangeas. I have my one large purple doing that, but she has all kinds. They look great! The clematis bloom before and after the hydrangeas, so there are blooms much of the summer. Plus, she has all kinds of shade plants at the base of her shrubs. What a great garden she has!

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Carmen, I saw some slides of her gardens at a hydrangea talk at our local library last summer. She sure has a lovely spot!

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Isn't it great fun and so much to learn by viewing others' gardens? Just love it. If I can learn to post photos, you can do it, pins! I am the most computer inept person there is.

Cape Cod, MA(Zone 7a)

So the Penny Mac Hydrangea must have been named for her- how lucky you got to tour her garden!

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

Yep, the Penny Mac was named for her. I have one in my garden that came from her. It's beautiful, and huge!

Cape Cod, MA(Zone 7a)

Any pictures of your Penny Mac? I've only seen them in nursery containers.

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

When they used to show Gardener's Journal (or maybe it was Gardener's Diary) on HGTV, they toured her garden- I still remember how beautiful it was. And she was great! She worked in theater, I believe, and she seemed like the most fun person! I would love to see that garden in person.

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

Come on down for the tour next year and you'll be set! I just hope she's still alive. She's well into her 80's and on oxygen. Next time you're in Atlanta let me know and maybe we can just set up a mini tour. ;-)

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

That's sweet, Pins, thanks!

I sure would like to see pictures of your Penny Mac shrub....

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.