Mosquitoes

Coventry, RI(Zone 6a)

I live on the edge of a swamp, so mosquitoes are a reall issue here. With extremely fair skin, and a love of gardening, I often find myself outside at night. I just hate using "bug spray", any organic suggestions out there???

-=LuLu

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

lemon grass(exellent bug repellant and good perfume)

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/nwgardens/90412_lovejoy10.shtml

http://www.virtualseeds.com/insect.html

And this guy has a lot of good Ebooks with how to make repellents

http://www.electmeindustries.com/atsurvivalguides-com/garden_index.html

Hope this all helps - Mitch

Lochbuie, CO(Zone 5b)

Citronella torches! They're cheap and one fill with the oil will last all summer, but you do need a lot of them around.

I've used the citronella-infused wristbands too and they work but only last for a day so at 1-2 dollars a pop they can get pricey.

You could also call your county pest-control person and ask them if there are any control plans in place.

A lot of people also swear by Avon Skin-So-Soft still!

If the swamp remains a serious problem for you, you may want to consider investing in one of those Carbon Dioxide traps - they're really expensive, but might be worth it in the long run.

Good Luck - C

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

Lulu, you could have someone like me stand near you and take all the bites, since I've never met anyone mosquitoes like biting more than me.

Or you could try the Burt's Bees insect repellent. You'll smell like Pledge (sort of) but it does work for me, even in this humidity and even against the tiger monster skeeters. (They used to STAY ON ME when I'd walk into the house. Unbelievable.)

Good luck!

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

I use a liquid called Skinsations (by Cutter). Almost no smell and is faintly fragrant. Lasts 3-4 hours. Skeeters are very bad here early mornings and after dusk. Apparently I am a gourmet banquet - without protection I really suffer.

Coventry, RI(Zone 6a)

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the input. I'm getting a little wary of DEET, some studies are a little ambiguous for my comfort. As it is, I am a hairstylist, and exposed to way too many environmental toxins. If I can cut back in other ways, I will. I'd rather smell like Pledge than Deep Woods Off.

-Lu

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

When they are really bad, and I have to work in the garden, I take some citronella incense and burn two or three around the area I am working. Recently, I was given some sickly looking hanging baskets of citronella plants. They are hanging over by the dog's area. I am hoping it will also keep rodents from her food.

Here is what I use on us: Herbal Armor by All Terrain. It has bug repellent and sunscreen. All Natural, but not cheap!

Homemade: In an 8 fl oz. old shampoo bottle, fill almost full with olive oil, 24 drops each (3 per ounce of oil) of: Lavendar (sunscreen) Lemongrass (skin conditioner) and Citronella (bugs) oils. Re-apply every hour.

If we are going to be out long, we use the Packaged stuff that doesn't need re-applying. At home, I just carry the small bottle around in my pocket to reapply as needed..

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

The Vinegar of the Four Thieves is a super-strong insect repellent. It should be diluted with water to half strength if you spray it directly on your skin. This repellent can be used many ways. Splashed on your socks or shoes will discourage ticks, chiggers, and mites. An herbal cloth kept in your pocket and rubbed on your skin ever hour or so would be very beneficial during outdoor work or recreation. Or, a nightly bath with a little herbal vinegar and oil will keep it on your skin for many hours and could prove helpful for families who live in the country or while out on camping trips.

Vinegar of the 4 Thieves

* 2 quarts of apple cider vinegar
* 2 tablespoons lavender
* 2 tablespoons rosemary
* 2 tablespoons sage
* 2 tablespoons wormwood
* 2 tablespoons rue
* 2 tablespoons mint
* 2 tablespoons fresh, chopped garlic

Combine dried herbs (except garlic) and vinegar in a one-gallon jar with lid, and soak in the sun for 2 weeks, shaking often. Then strain out the used herbs, and retain the herbal liquid mixture. Add several cloves of crushed garlic, and close lid. Let soak for three days, and strain out the garlic fiber and discard. This liquid tincture needs to be stored in a cool place, like the refrigerator, or it can be preserved by canning. Fill canning jar with boiling liquid tincture to within one-half inch of top. Cap with rubber seal canning lid, tighten ring, and turn hot jar upside down; leave it undisturbed until it cools to room temperature. This will cause the jar to seal. Don’t forget to date and label it.

These herbs are available pre-mixed from The Bulk Herb Store, 1010 Pearl Road, Pleasantville, TN 37033. Write and ask for a free catalog at address above or visit www.bulkherbstore.com.

From: http://www.nogreaterjoy.org/index.php?id=25&backPID=21&tt_news=85
You should read the info. on the site... interesting story of how this got it's name. By the way, Garlic is optional. Mny recipes for Vinegar of the Four Thieves do not mention garlic.

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

Just a note: Rue can cause a mild to nasty dermatitis reaction in some people (just check it out in PlantFiles) so you'll want to test this diluted vinegar mix on a little bit o' you before spraying it head to toe. I guess that goes for any topical ointment/spray...

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks, Darius! I am definitely going to try this.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.