Happy as a pig in mud.....

Pickens, SC(Zone 7a)

this is my first japanese iris bloom....traded for it before I came to Daves...can anyone ID it for me ?
thanks

Thumbnail by Charlotteda
Farmington, ME(Zone 4b)

Very beautiful!

Pickens, SC(Zone 7a)

thank you... I am rather excited. Think I will concentrate on the L.A.'s though as they can withstand a dry period and I dont think the JI can. It is lovely...

Farmington, ME(Zone 4b)

I don't have any JI or LA, only SI. I would like to try some JI's. Maybe next year. Good luck with the name!

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

that is quite a beauty charlotte, hope someone can id it, maybe tazzy, she's a wiz at those la's

smithton, MO(Zone 5a)

that is shaped just like what i have labled as a la iris.......no matter.....i luv mine....and yours too, its beautiful....:)

cindy

Pickens, SC(Zone 7a)

I did get this one in a trade...... we need expert analysis.. LOL....where are Tazzy and Laurie !

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

Definitey a Japanese Iris. A good site to compare photos at would be www.ensata.com. You may even be able to email them your pic and have them i.d. it for you. Good luck!

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

Tazzy brought several beautiful colors of Louisiana iris roots to the Missouri Round Up. When it came time, I snatched them quickly & RAN to my car with them.

They are now safely rooting in wet corners of my yard. 2006, here I came!

Paradise, TX(Zone 8a)

It may be : Japanese Iris "Butterflies in Flight"? Saw one that looks like it on ebay heres the link to compare it to:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3981282009&ssPageName=MERC_VIC_RSCC_Pr4_PcY_BID_Stores
happy gardening!
darmadoll

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Wow! $8.50 for one piece! I'm a millionaire at that rate! That is so expensive.

I bought directly from Ensata last year, a big order, and none were just one fan! I'm really shocked at the price on eBay.

Arlene

Pickens, SC(Zone 7a)

darmadoll...thank you so much for thinking of me but I dont think that is it. IT is very similar but the one on ebay showing veining in the petals where mine look more like a color wash pattern. In trying to lean how to ID my bearded I have learned that so many elements are involved. but thanks so much for letting me know.

pirl. $8.50 for one fan doesnt sound to bad to me, if it is a good plant. What tickles me is that some folks are paying $7 for bearded plus shipping when they could order just a couple from a grower and save big $$ on shipping.

Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

Charlotteda.......It could be one called Temple Bells, sorta looks like the one I have. Mine hasn't bloomed because I moved it earlier and I don't think it liked that!

deb

Not Temple Bells, that one is purple not blue like yours. Sorry!

This message was edited Jun 18, 2005 10:04 PM

Pickens, SC(Zone 7a)

Well, thanks for the tip Deb...it is so beautiful I hate for it to be nameless.

Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

It still looks like the one I have that was tagged as Temple Bells! The picture I found was purple not blue. But my tag says medium blue. I will see if I can find one of my pictures from last year and see if it matches.

Deb

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

This is my JI that was at my house when I bought it. It has been a very easy one to keep alive. It does rain here quite a bit, but in the summer it can get really dry and I've never had a problem with it. Your's sure is a beauty, Charlotte!

Thumbnail by mgh
Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

This one looks like my 'Graciuse'. I have had it for several years and it always does well for me. Even after I moved it this spring!

Thumbnail by irisluvr0252
Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

Here is a close up........

Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

It doesn't have the same petal count, but that may be due to moving it.

Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

Here is one blooming now and I think it is purti-rif-ic!

Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

But I don't know the name!

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Your Japanese Irises are so gorgeous! I can't seem to grow them.

Susan

Pickens, SC(Zone 7a)

Well susan, its not skill just luck that has kept this one alive. I traded for it before I came to Daves...it was just a 3 fan division that I kept in the pond last summer. Never did much so I planted it in a damp place this spring..and this is my first bloom. I probably wont have many of them but I think they are cute.

Charlotte, has yours increased? Would you want to trade a piece of yours for a piece of mine?

Mendy

Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

Mendy,
check out this site. it looks very similar to yours:http://store.yahoo.com/allthingsiris/jaircr.html

A few differences, but really close!

It does look very similar, doesn't it. I also found one called Gusto that looks a lot like it.

http://www.sugarcreekgardens.com/IrisGusto.htm

Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

Yes it does! Photos vary so much though, it's hard to ID anything. So many things to consider such as the light and cameras captures colors differently due to time of day, lighting, weather, etc. Your iris sure is pretty though!

Thanks, Irisluvr. I was very lucky to have it....it came with the house when we bought it. You are so right about the pics and it being hard to identify things. Here is a pic of Gusto from Ensata Gardens:

http://www.ensata.com/Japanese/Gusto.JPG

Looks pretty different from the other pic.

Pickens, SC(Zone 7a)

Mendy...I'd be glad to someday...this year...I'm afraid to touch it :)

I understand completely, Charlotte. :-)

Pickens, SC(Zone 7a)

If by any chance I were to move it...I will definately carve off a piece for you !

Cool, thanks! Just let me know.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.