Something's eating my roses!

Eagle, MI(Zone 5a)

Something is feasting on my rose leaves! I've tried spraying with a mixture of Murphy's oil soap, dishwashing liquid and alcohol in water, but the eating continues. I've been looking for a pest and found a small, black worm-like critter that was kind of hairy, but only one. I haven't seen another since. Any ideas? Any suggestions? Also, should I be removing the lower leaves that are badly eaten and now turning yellow? Please help!

Thumbnail by Lily_15350
Manchester, NH(Zone 5a)

Bump...

Anyone have any ideas? My first instinct would be to remove the lower leaves, but I'm new to roses, too.
Have you tried going out after dark with a flashlight to see if you can catch whatever it is that's eating your rose leaves?

Kelly

http://www.gardensafari.net/pics/wespen/zaagwespen/caliroa_cerasi_hs0_2374.jpg (Could it be this? It's a pear slug)

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

I wonder if you have June Bugs? They love to much rose leaves.
I'd go ahead and remove the yellow leaves.
They don't really hurt anything but your plant will look much better *S*

Eagle, MI(Zone 5a)

Thanks for the ideas! I never thought of looking after dark!

Kelly -- The worm-like critter I saw was more like a caterpillar -- definite segments and kind of hairy. Not so polished and shiny as the pear slug you pictured. But thanks for the picture!

I'm removing the leaves and it does make the plant look better (although kind of bald!). I think the munching has slowed down, so perhaps the soap and alcohol mixture is working after all.

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

Lily,
It will leaf out again soon. *S*
You may want to try the same solution on the soil around the bed, if it's a beetle of some sort the larva are in the soil.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.