Mini Poppies - What a hoot!

Blue Springs, MO(Zone 5b)

Not sure how I did this, but I have the most darling TINY poppies - not from overcrouding, cuz they have plenty of space. I couldn't get very good pictures but this will give you an idea - has anyone ever had this happen? What did I DO? One of them was so small when the leaves of the flower dropped off I couldn't even find them - microscopic!!!! What fun!!!!

Thumbnail by TamTam

Honestly, some are even smaller than these - I see the buds but miss the blooms - they're even going to seed!

Thumbnail by TamTam

See the one below his thumb? It bloomed, too!! Maybe they are normal and common but I'm sure having fun with them!! ...Hmmm, what will happen when the seeds they drop germinate??? I'll be afraid to step anywhere in the gardens, thinking I'll be squooshing teeny poppies that I can't even see - haha!!!

Thumbnail by TamTam

I'm adding more pictures just cuz I wanna...that's absinth on the left, a snapdragon and itsy bitsy poppies.

Thumbnail by TamTam

Here's a "normal" sized poppy (and my dah-link son!!)

Thumbnail by TamTam

Just one more for the fun of it...from big to little!!!

Thumbnail by TamTam
Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Did you plant the seeds late? I have had this happen when I planted the seeds very late or started the seeds but didn't transplant them soon enough so they were stunted in their original containers. It makes me wonder if their blooms are triggered by day length regardless of the size of the plant.

hanna, WY(Zone 4b)

Very cute Tam Tam. My neighbor has the big ones and they are sure nice this year. Yvonne

Gosh, thanks for looking, guys!! Interesting thought about daylight blooming, NoH20...and I sowed all the seeds at the same time BUT we got severe storms and rivers of rain so since you said that, I'm wondering if they got "washed" to where they are and were stunted that way! The pics don't do them justice, they're so tiny and perfect...I'm thinking BIG BUCKS in this if I could figure out how it happened - haha!! :)

Marysville, WA(Zone 7a)

Tam, I had some do that a couple years back. Don't know why, never repeated. Thought it may have been a localized soil condition. Color is something close to P. triniifolium. Very pleasant.

Thumbnail by balvenie

Thank you Balvenie! Yours are gorgeous - my black peony & pink carnation poppies are blooming now - and a few white ones. I can tell the special ones cuz of the hairs on the bud!! Yours are VERY hairy!!!! :) 'Tis a good thing!

I'm glad to hear someone else was puzzled by these teeny poppies. Boy, I have lots of them, still tiny and still blooming. I'll miss them next year if they don't come back!! :(

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

Those are so CUTE! I have alpine poppies, but not the same thing, I know. Still, they're pretty adorable. LOL.

kbaumle - I just looked up the alpine poppies and I have some white ones! I think, anyway - I thought they were just plain "white" poppies - how exciting they have a "name"!!! What color are your alpine poppies? I'm so glad you think the mini poppies are adorable too! :) If I figure out how to grow them on purpose, you'll be among the first for some "mini seeds" - LOL!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.