Wilted bean leaves

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

Both my pole beans and bush beans look basically healthy, but last night I noticed crumpled, wilted leaves on both of them. I believe it's on all varieties planted. There are those darkened, wilted leaves, and then (I suppose what they turn to later ) brownish-yellow dead patches. This is not something I've encountered before. Help?

Thumbnail by Zeppy

Here's another. Sort of poor quality photo, sorry.

Thumbnail by Zeppy
Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

Oh look Zeppy has pictures of my beans! *G*

Yeah? What was the diagnosis? And prognosis?

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

lol...I never got one, and didn't really push for one. I've about given up on these beans. My mistake since I should have planted something for this climate.

Saint

Locust Grove, AR(Zone 7a)

Don't give up on those beans Zeppy! They look okay to me. Have you tried any sevin dust on them? Mine looked like that and went ahead and flowered and now have baby beans on them. I think they will be okay.

This message was edited Jun 13, 2005 11:04 AM

Thanks, AngieRich. They're puttering along. Maybe one of the milder bean viruses. I've been succession planting the bush varieties so I should get some yield, anyway.

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

Oh, dear, I would spray with kelp foliar spray and hope for the best!

Sunnyvale, CA(Zone 9b)

Zeppy,

I have the same exact thing on my bush bean leaves!! I took close to a dozen leaves out that had either patches or curled hard spots last week. It could be a coicidence but this happened when the weather was getting really hot (It's back in the low 70's for high again now but our Hi was in mid 80's, which is very hot for here). I was concerned but since I have been harvesting tons of beans the last couple of weeks since the plants look otherwise healthy, I am just waiting to see how the plants behave.

Maybe someone knows exactly what this is.

tmm

Sunnyvale, CA(Zone 9b)

Zeppy,

I did some research and my green bean problem (I have Blue Lake) looks like it is caused by Common Blights (bacterial disease). I could be wrong but I see photos on the internet that look just like mine, and the explanations of symptoms match too. Yikes! I opened a thread in Organic Gardening and Garden Foe, hoping someone can lead me to a workable solution.

I am still harvesting plenty of green beans but I don't see any more flowers.

tmm

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

oh, dear, not blight!!!!

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

I solved all my bean problems...I ripped those suckers up! :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.