Can you tell

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

How much longer before this opens and turns into a flower???
Impatient!!!
Tried many times to grow this vine,never ever got this far before!

Thumbnail by Tropicman
Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

That looks like cobaea scandens. It seems awfully early, so I wouldn't think you will see bloom very soon. When I grow cobaea from seed in the spring it is September before I see bloom.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Yes it is,cup and saucer vine,September! I was hoping by 4 th july,kind like having a ripe tomato by july 4th,family competiton,just for fun,like to have lots of color on the 4th!

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Hi Tropicman, I just reread what I posted to you and my brain as usual is out to lunch. LOL Yes, you should easily see bloom by the 4th of July. Yep, I know what you mean about that first red tomato.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Yep as that tomato is turning red,you get that BLT sandwich taste in your mouth!!LOL

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

And a grilled burger,nothing better than fresh tomatoes. My mouth is watering.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Yep,That too!
And a fresh salad!

Colorado Springs, CO(Zone 6a)

Tman, did you start that from seed? How long ago did you get germination? I have one and I cannot wait for it to bloom- although you are a bit ahead of me. You'll have to post pictures when it opens up!

I know what yall mean about the tomatoes .. I have sweet 100's ripening one every couple days and I just go out and plop it in my mouth...I'm too excited for salads or sandwiches.:) lol

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Yes,March I think,I planted them in 25 gallon containers full of compost,and they have grown like mad everyday,I heard you were not to fertilize them or they will burn up.so I take pond water to feed them,and they seem to love it.
I'll be glad to eat a fresh mater,them store bought are tasteless!

Interesting information! I've been hearing all sorts of things about what not to fertilize...mg's neither. I had no idea. Good thing I never remember to anyhow!
Golly, 25 gallons!! That's bigger than my whole apartment I think lol. I think these are so interesting-- I thought something was wrong with them at first when I saw the tendrils at the ends of the leaves. Is it the only climber that does so this way?

Here's mine tonight- I have it climbing on a plant rack indoors, which I know is not the best, but it's the best place I have for now.

Thumbnail by art_n_garden
Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

They are really a gorgeous flower, art, you will love em. I don't know that they will bloom in an apartment. Good Luck all the same.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Yes those little tendrils are sure are sticky critters,I'll try to get a pic of the whole plant,I have 3 growing 2 in the 25 gall on containers and one in a 5 gallon pot.

Lenjo- yea I think I have decided that my all my plants are in a contstant state of preparation for when I move out of here (next year). Maybe I'll call it the longest Winter sowing experiment ever...and if I can keep them alive long enough for them to live outside at a house then that'll make me really happy! lol. I'm not expecting too much as they are right now.

Sounds good don, I can't wait to see them!

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Here's a pic of the cup and saucer vine in front of the sunroom,in a 25 gallon container,I have another one just like this one.

Thumbnail by Tropicman
New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

They are so pretty too Don. Remember all those I had on the fence last year? I never got any planted this year...darn!! Looks nice and healthy!

That looks great Don- the blooms are going to be gorgeous on that!

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Yes I remember,they were pretty,
Thanks art.

Olathe, KS(Zone 6a)

Heya buddy. I don't know if your weather has been as wacky as mine here or not. All this rain and cold weather has so many of my huge buds taking forever to open up. I've had these enormous buds on a Passionflower just bought and I don't know what it is yet. It looked like it was going to open up almost a week ago and its still closed up man! It keeps on growing new buds too and I need to transplant it. I'm afraid if I repot it before seeing this bloom, it may take longer to know what it is.
Isn't it sad how long it's taking for our Maypops to bloom? Mine are usually huge and full of blooms by this time of summer. My vines are still so small! Last summer they were big enough and numerous enough that I was able to take plants and cuttings to the lake over Memorial Day. I could only find 1 vine less than 3 inches tall this Memorial Day! I don't even have a bud on a maypop yet and I have atleast 20 of them growing all around the house and yard now. I have runners popping up all over my lawn and atleast 15 feet into my nieghboor's!LOL Man what a weed it is;). After seeing how hardy it thrives around my house, I can't believe the country isn't filled with them everywhere.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

I hear you,those are some powerful weeds,wish I good locate the gene into getting them to grow so fast and figure how to add it to the cuttings of edilus I'm trying to root for you,how long has it been now a couple months and still no roots,well I just went checked again,and finally the begining of some root developement.

Thumbnail by Tropicman
Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Heres another pic,yes the rain is driving nuts,hasn't been all that cold tho.

Thumbnail by Tropicman

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.