Red Trumphet Vine

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Blooming in all its glory,they send runners like crazy,sometimes it drives me insane,but when I see here like this,I tell myself,yep it was worth it!!!

Thumbnail by Tropicman
Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

Wow, it's beautiful

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

yep, it's worth it

(Zone 4a)

Outstanding!

Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

Hello, Tropicman, so gorgeous your red trumphet !
Can you tell me, please, how do you propagate it ? I love this vine and I would like to have one in my garden, but last year I've failed while trying to propagate it by cuttings.
Adina

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Adina,I think tghe best way would be ground layering,or even air layering.
Thanks all,I ve been trying different prunings,to get more flowering.

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Now that is really stunning. Looks like a jungle in there, so lush. My trumpet vine isn't anywhere near blooming, no buds even. I just planted a yellow campsis radicans last fall. Can't wait for that fellow to bloom. I did notice that there are little shoots that come up in the neighboring flower bed. Do you suppose those are rooted or are they just suckers?

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

I have a yellow and red mixed together onn the backside of the greenhouse in bloom now
Yes the suckers will have roots in time,as they grow larger.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Here's a pictture of the two!

Thumbnail by Tropicman
Lima, OH(Zone 5a)

Fantastic! Mine is 11 yrs. old. Please tell me your secret. I am keeping it no more!!

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

I just ignore it,until it blooms then prune it back hard.hope for the best!!!
Then real hard in late fall.

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Fantastic, tropicman, really gorgeous. Have you ever seen the distictis ? It is a trumpet vine I have seen growing in Berkeley,California. It is red and yellow; one color on the side of the bloom and the other color the other side. I can't remember which was which. But that is one incredible vine. I will see if I can pull one up here.

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/306768/ Here is great photo of the flower up close.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Cool ,is that the same as crossvine?

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

I am not sure, but that does ring a bell. According to my AHS book, crossvines are also called bignonia. I saw one of these distictis trained around a deck. The whole deck was surrounded by this vine and it was in full bloom. It was just awesome. Our campsis radicans definitely give the distictis a run for its money, though.I tried to buy a distictis at Berkeley Hort. in a gallon size. No luck. I didn't think I could get anything bigger home. I even brought some slips but no luck there either. They wouldn't be hardy here.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

They have some hardy here called Red Dragon and Tangerine Beauty, I think,but they were out of the gallon size,and I'm to cheap to buy the 5 gallon
size!

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Cost certainly makes a difference too.

Hello, tropicman ! I know about ground layering, but how is air layering ?
Adina

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Air layering is taking the vine scraping away a couple inches of bark or cambium,make a 45* cut halfway thru the stem,take something like a toothpick,and put inside the 45* cut,to keep the cut open and from growing back together,dust with rooting hormone,cover cut with moist spaghum moss,cover with plastic and tie both ends,check everyday to make sure the moss is always moist,6 to 8 weeks you should have roots starting to come thru the moss,then make a cut from the mother plant,right next to the new roots and plant up as a new plant.

Thanks, tropicman ! That is so interesting ! I never heard of this before !
I have to try it, but it won't be so easy because I don't have a trumphet vine at hand. Have you ever heard of propagating it by cuttings ?
Adina

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

It's gorgeous Don! Ü

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

I haven't been able to get any to root in water,havent tried in soil yet.
Thanks Lil

Tropicman, thanks for answering me, hope I'll have someday such a beautiful vine as yours !
Adina

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.