My Garden is Now Underway

Riverview, NB(Zone 5b)

It seems like it took forever for summer to get here.

I've been working, working, working on this place to get it put together for a garden.

First I had to clear a bit of land.
Next came the fill dirt and bulldozer.

Lots and Lots of Peat, Vermiculite, Pearlite, top soil, compost manure and other organic soil amendments, I started building my containers, making stringers and nettings.

Here are a few of the pictures taken the other day.

This one is a combination. Your looking through some of the stringers that go down to the containers holding the tomatoes.

I bought 8" x 14' boards and cut out steps for the boxes to sit on. (Edited to add: I cut the boards in half making them 8"x7'.) There are 728 beans planted in these boxes. :)

This message was edited Jun 10, 2005 6:21 AM

Thumbnail by DCarrington
Riverview, NB(Zone 5b)

In this picture, you can see mostly the stringers that go down to the buckets and ice cream containers I used for the maters.

Thumbnail by DCarrington
Riverview, NB(Zone 5b)

This one shows the netting I made using twine. It will support the Summer Squash and Cucumbers this year.

Thumbnail by DCarrington
Riverview, NB(Zone 5b)

The peices of "triangle" shaped wood that came out of the 8'x14' boards to make the steps were used on the back of the shed and I put boxes on them. It worked like a book shelf.

Thumbnail by DCarrington
Riverview, NB(Zone 5b)

I'm waiting for the guy to come bulldoze an area where I want to plant some sweet corn.

Although in this picture it doesn't show the huge pile of top soil that's there today, it does show the area where the corn will go.

Thumbnail by DCarrington
Riverview, NB(Zone 5b)

Here is another picture of that same area, different angle

Thumbnail by DCarrington
Riverview, NB(Zone 5b)

In this picture, it shows where I want to put my vegetable stand.

I am going to attach a tarp to the roof of the shed and continue the roof outward toward the edge of the fence. One side of the tarp will be fastened to the fence and the corner will be on a post. (post isn't in yet) So, the wall of the market will be a fence on one side and the shingles will be the back wall.

It will give me a nice shaded area to sell my vegetables.

Thumbnail by DCarrington
Riverview, NB(Zone 5b)

On the other side of this fence is where the garden starts.

Thumbnail by DCarrington
Riverview, NB(Zone 5b)

Same as above, different view.

Thumbnail by DCarrington
So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Hey, you are one creative fella! It all looks great.

Riverview, NB(Zone 5b)

This is where I'm putting in a drive to the market.

I'll post another picture when it's all done.

Thumbnail by DCarrington
Riverview, NB(Zone 5b)

One more.

This is my buddy. He's been with me for 17 years.

His name is Sam

Thumbnail by DCarrington
Riverview, NB(Zone 5b)

Thanks Darius.

Castlegar, BC(Zone 6b)

Well done, Darrell & Sam! Very impressive! Good Luck with it. :D

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Darrell you have done a marvelous job! Ü Well executed, neat and professional looking.

Riverview, NB(Zone 5b)

Thanks Donna and Lilypon.

North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8b)

Hi Sam! I hope you like to garden as it seems your Dad has put in a great deal of effort. Results are wonderful, though. Lots of research went into this project and has paid off. Well done. Makes me feel most lazy and inadequate. I can taste the corn and maters, now!. Dawn

Riverview, NB(Zone 5b)

Update of the progress.

Here is a picture of the driveway that will come to the front of the market stand.

Thumbnail by DCarrington
Riverview, NB(Zone 5b)

Here are a couple pictures of those "Stairs" that I planted Beans in.

As you can see, the beans on the left are much nicer than the beans on the right. I soaked the beans on the left for about 4 hours. The beans on the left, I didn't soak at all. It made a big difference.

This shows more of the nicer looking beans. (The left side)

Thumbnail by DCarrington
Riverview, NB(Zone 5b)

Here is both sides.

Thumbnail by DCarrington
Riverview, NB(Zone 5b)

Here is a picture of where I had a Tandum load of top soil brought in, then another tandum load of manure. It's ready for sweet corn.

Thumbnail by DCarrington
Riverview, NB(Zone 5b)

Corn is planted. Shew!! My knees hurt. lol

Thumbnail by DCarrington
Riverview, NB(Zone 5b)

Here are my tomatoes after about 2 weeks growing in buckets and empty ice cream containers from the local ice cream parlour. (and of course my buddy Sam)

Thumbnail by DCarrington
Riverview, NB(Zone 5b)

Another picture of my Tomatoes.

Thumbnail by DCarrington
Riverview, NB(Zone 5b)

Last one for now.

Left is Green Summer Squash, Center is, Yellow Summer Squash, and Right is Cucumbers. (Straight Eight)

This message was edited Jun 25, 2005 3:46 PM

Thumbnail by DCarrington
Riverview, NB(Zone 5b)

I took some pictures of the Lettuce boxes and of the boxes where the Spinach is growing, but they didn't turn out. I'll try again later.

Riverview, NB(Zone 5b)

Ok, here's the Lettuce Boxes on the back of the shed.

Thumbnail by DCarrington
Riverview, NB(Zone 5b)

Here's the Spinach that finally came up. Ya gotta look reeeeaaallllll close. :o))

Thumbnail by DCarrington
Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

I'm in awe of what you have done there Darrell......very professional! All I can think is WOW!!! Ü (the bean stairs continue to amaze me).

I imagine you will be busy watering A LOT today........how hot is it expected to get there?

North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8b)

WOW! That is a very impressive setup. You must be very proud of it. Everything looks marvelous, not to mention orderly. Now if I could only get my plants to behave as well.

Castlegar, BC(Zone 6b)

Very nice job, Darrell. I am so impressed by those "stair" planters. Amazing though what a little water soaking will do for a bean seed, eh? Also like your lettuce planters. Nicely made and certainly no bending for you; great idea. Your tomatoes are coming along nicely. I have little tiny tomatoes of a few of my plants already and lots of flowers on the rest. We could sure use some good heat now though. Sure has been a cool June for us overall.

Keep up the good work! Your market satnd is sure to be a success!

:Donna

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

I'm truely amazed! What a neat setup!
:) Donna

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Looking great, Darrell! I really love the lettuce at a good picling height.

Riverview, NB(Zone 5b)

Well, you know, I'm not as young as I use to be. So, I thought and thought, looked at different things here and there, and came up with a garden that more or less was "Up & Down" rather than down by my feet. LOL

I really wanted a garden and I really wanted a vegetable stand out here this year.

I won't be able to plant as much as I had thought though. I have sort of run out of steam. I've been hauling all that soil and manure in empty buckets and used 3.8 Peat bags. It's getting hot and the buckets and bags are getting heavier. :)

You would have laughed at me today if you had been here. I planted a row of Beets, came in the house and had a glass of ice tea, went back out and planted a row of Wax Beans, came in had some more tea, went out planted a row of Radish's, came in and "P'ed", just looked at the tea, went back out and planted a row of Green Onions, and said "That's It!" I'm done!

Victoria, BC(Zone 8b)

Darrell you've done a great job, great way to have the plants not all on the ground, it'll save your back too.

Castlegar, BC(Zone 6b)

LOL, Darrell. Been there ... done that!

Campbell River, BC(Zone 8a)

Wow! It all looks wonderful Darrell. You've sure put a lot of time and effort into it and I'm sure it'll pay off for you. I'm looking forward to your future updates.

Sandy

Riverview, NB(Zone 5b)

Here are some new pictures of the garden.

Here is a picture of the garden. The corn is up. Not a lot, but it's up. :)

Thumbnail by DCarrington
Riverview, NB(Zone 5b)

Here is a picture of the Wax Beans, Beets, Red Radish, & White Radish's. The corn is just to the right.

Thumbnail by DCarrington
Riverview, NB(Zone 5b)

Tomatoes

Thumbnail by DCarrington

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.