Early Salvia blooms in the garden.

Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

Took these photos this morning of several Salvias that are beginning to show off a bit in the garden.
Hope everyone is having a colorful spring, early summer.

Salvia coahuilensis from the State of Coahuila, Mexico

Thumbnail by drdon
Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

the ubiquitous Salvia leucantha

Thumbnail by drdon
Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

Salvia guaranitica 'Black and Blue'. This is a very young plant and is in it's first season.

Thumbnail by drdon
Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

Salvia greggii 'Red'....lol. I don't know the name of this cultivar.

Thumbnail by drdon
Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

Salvia guaranitica 'Costa Rica Blue'

Thumbnail by drdon
Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

Salvia 'Purple Majesty'

Thumbnail by drdon
Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

Salvia gesneraeflora's very last bloom until Sept-Oct

Thumbnail by drdon
Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

Salvia microphylla 'Pink'...don't know this cultivar either

Thumbnail by drdon
Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

Salvia chiapensis from the state of Chiapas, Mexico

Thumbnail by drdon
High Springs, FL(Zone 8b)

Ooooh! Another salvia-phile! You have some gorgeous plants there, and a wonderful setting for them. I don't have current photos of mine, but here's some from the past couple of years:

Salvia blepharophylla

Thumbnail by Amaryllisgal

Salvia farinacea (Mealycup Sage)

The monstrous Forsythia Sage, before it reached its full growth...

Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

hiya AmaryllisGal,

Your Salvias are wonderful. I won't have blooms on S. madrensis for another three months, and yes they do get very big indeed.

Our S. blepharophylla is the 'Diablo' cultivar and it is still very young.

Yes I'm a committed Salviaphile. I'm still hunting for Salvia sagittata, which has so far eluded me.

We planted S. sinaloensis this year also, and it has two little flowers on it that are the most amazing true blue color, it's really something.

best to you and your Salvias,
Don

There are some others in my beds that I don't have pictures of yet. One of them has yet to be positively i.d.'ed, but the person that sold it to me called it a "Mexican" salvia. The flowers are similar to your S. chiapensis. When it finally blooms, I'll get some good photos and see what you think.

Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

Okie dokie, your S. madrensis is incredible. Forsythia sages are really wonderful. Your S. blepharophylla is pretty as well. When I finally got mine, I looked at the leaf margins through a magnifying glass and could really see why they call it the 'Eyelash Sage'.

the one that really got me by surprise was S. gesneraeflora 'Tequila'. Ours won't bloom until late September but it's 8' tall right now. It's a really fast grower and if you plan on growing one, be sure to give yours more room than I gave mine.

best,
Don

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.