Fiberglass Greenhouse, Good investment?

Olive Branch, IL(Zone 6b)

OK, I am in the process of purchasing a greenhouse. I have found this fiberglass greenhouse. This is a 7 X 7. The one I'm looking at is 8 X 16. Does anyone know anything about them? Would it be be comparable to the polycarbonate. I have no idea what the thickness would be. Would it be hard to heat in the winter. I do know that the vents open automatically. They are asking $1000. but would probably take $900.

I have looked at the hoop greenhouses thru Farmtek which would require replacing the plastic every few years. I know the Fiberglass would last for quite some time. I'm just not sure what to do until I find out more about it.

How would I secure it to the ground? Someone suggested using straps like you would on a mobile home.

Would appreciate any info you have to offer....

Thumbnail by bggarden1
(Linda) Winfield, KS(Zone 6a)

I know nothing about your fiberglass GH but if it were me I would latch onto it in a heartbeat. It really is a good looking one. Could you maybe sit it on some railroad ties, then secure it to them. I sure would like to run across one of them.

Keep us updated as to what you do, I am very interested and maybe you could find out the name of it.

I did find a website after posting this forum. www.greenlinemfg.com. They do not give prices online. From their website it sounds like it would be a good investment on my part. I did email them to find out what they would cost new. Of course, the guy selling this one says it is new. His son worked for a company that sold them. I'm not sure if it was this brand. Although the one I'm looking at does not have the misting system. I might be able to order it from Greenline.

I'll let you know what I decide. My husband and I may go up and look at it next Thursday (16th). The price sounds good......

(Linda) Winfield, KS(Zone 6a)

I really like the looks of them. I wonder if they could mail out information on them?

Please keep me posted.

Linda

Juneau, AK(Zone 5a)

I would have one concern here and that is the well known "vegetarium adictus" virus. It seems that it is nearly impossible to have too much greenhouse space to combat this virus.

The space seems to be pretty small. I have just put up a Farmtek 12 X 24 hoop house and it is already too small and this is just my first year............................

Think big or find yourself buying another one.

Rick

Juneau, AK(Zone 5a)

Read this regarding the disease of planting tomatoes.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/tomato/msg0609400217577.html?29

Rick

I can't think too big. I have had two back surgery's, the last one not just a year ago. I would love to go big but I just can't. I really have to watch how much I do. I was thinking if I went this size that I could control how much I do. You know, the more you have , the more you do. Thanks for the advice anyway. :)

Juneau, AK(Zone 5a)

I think that my GH cost something like $900 plus shipping. So you cannot beat the cost. You are not required to fill the space, but if your back ever heals, the larger GH would be there for you. My wife wanted to use the extra space in ours for a hot tub. But I filled it up too quickly for a hot tub to fit.

Good luck.

But if your heart is set on a small one, go for it. :-)

It would be interesting how many DG members have GH and wished that they had gotten a bigger one - very quickly.

Rick

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

They had these at a flower show I went to a couple of years ago. I'll look to see if I still have the brochure. I am sure the prices are outdated but it might give you a place to consider. I thought they were pretty cool. I walked in side of it and flicked at and they are pretty substancial. It was a lot more dense than my 4mm polycarb are for sure.

N. Mississippi, MS(Zone 8a)

Hello, I would be concerned that UV rays would eventually break down the fiberglass. I might be wrong but it might be worth doing some searching on the net about before buying. I know UV tears up plastic and pvc but not sure about fiberglass.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.