Strange growth on willow

Ladson, SC(Zone 8b)

Hi......I'll mention that I have also posted this question under the trees & shrubs forum.

I noticed this morning that I have this growth on the trunk of my willow tree, which we planted the year before last. It's done well and grows like crazy. We planted it in a spot in our yard that holds water pretty bad after rain, which we've had a ton of lately.
Can someone please tell me what this is? Since I've noticed it, I've thought of nothing else...It really bothers me. I love this little tree. Please help : )

Thanks in advance, Angie

Thumbnail by AKelley
Fort Wayne, IN(Zone 5a)

That appears to be some sort of gall. I don't remember seeing it on the trunk before. There is nothing you can do about it except remove them. they contain the eggs and larva of certain mites. Jessamine

Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

hiya AKelley,

You stated that you've received a lot of rain lately and this area holds a lot of water during rain periods. Might I suggest an alternate cause for this phenomenon?

There's lots of water in the soil, possibly too much for the roots to breathe. These may be adventitious roots that are formed in the stem cortex.

One cause of this is a preponderance of ethylene gas or excessive CO2 in an environment. Is the grass below or around this tree beginning to water log or rot? Check out this link.

http://www.ars.usda.gov/research/publications/Publications.htm?seq_no_115=132442

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.