Strange growth on Willow

Ladson, SC(Zone 8b)

Good Morning everyone......I just noticed this happening to my willow. What in the world is it???? It's all along the trunk. We planted this tree year before last. We've had an insane amount of rain for the plast 2 weeks, is this some kind of fungus? I don't like it, whatever it is. Please help........

Thanks in advance, Angie

Thumbnail by AKelley
Zone 6, OH(Zone 6a)

Since you mentioned the large amount of rain and moisture, it looks to me like those might be the beginnings of roots. I could be wrong. But I've seen other plants do that along the stem/trunk in very moist environments.

Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

That's what I was thinking. Because they all seem to be coming from "eyes" on the bark I figured it was just SUPER happy with the moisture!

K

Zone 6, OH(Zone 6a)

Good, I'm not going crazy then :) Seems like it's moisture loving plants that are more prone to this.

If you don't like the looks of that, you could wrap your hand around the trunk and run it up and down to knock them off. I do that with crabapple trees (that are small enough to wrap my hand around) to keep new branches from forming too low. Also works well on my bald cypress. Get 'em while they're young though. It's easier to do that once in awhile than to get the pruners out later.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.