Native Oakleaf Hydrangea

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

I found these yesterday and just fell in love with them. I came back home, read up on them, then went back and got these limbs which I am hoping will root.

Judy

Thumbnail by judycooksey

I have two of those flanking make shift steps that lead down to a little pond. I love the leaves on them. I never tried to root any though. Hope you have success. They sure are beautiful aren't they. Very nice photo of the leaves.

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

I'll let you know if they root from the cuttings. They are suppose to be easy to root in July, so if these fail, I'll get more. There is a big patch of them growing wild not far from my house, also lots of ferns and other plants. I wish I owned the land so I could put a stepping stone path through it for people to see how beautiful it is.

Unfortunately is owned by an investment company for future developement.

Judy

Judy

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

There must be 50 of them out here between my apartment and the creek. I'm anxious for them to bloom!

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Oh Darius it will be WONDERFUL!!!

La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

Judy,

Take any flowers, buds and large leaves off. I've had success putting them in gallon cans and covering the cutting with plastic until new growth begins. Plastic chopsticks help keep the plastic from touching the leaves.

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Thank you so much for the information.

Judy

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

I've had some difficulty in getting H. quercifolias to root, but here's what I've learned in the hopes it will help you.

1) If possible, find a branch that's already layered itself and put out some roots (but don't dig it all the way up.) Sever it from the mother plant and let it stay in place for a few weeks before digging.

2) If your cuttings begin to wilt, don't be afraid to trim off most of the leaves - these plants are notorious for transpiring a lot through those huge leaf surfaces. Keep just enough leaves to providesome photosynthesis while the plant is developing new roots and eventually new leaves.

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Thanks Terry!!

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Might try some rooting hormone on some?

John

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Good idea John!!!

Thanks

Judy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.