Zucchini Problems

Harper, TX(Zone 8a)

My plants are growing great, but the baby zucchini's are getting withered on the blossom end.
They are a little bigger than a cuban cigar. Is it too much water or not enough. No bugs to speak of. Thanks Txsdar

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Zukes need bugs, specifically bees of one type or the other for pollinators. Some home gardeners hand pollinate by picking up pollen from the male flowers using something like a Q-tip and transferring it to a female flower. That is the one with the little zukes behind the flower.

Harper, TX(Zone 8a)

I have flowers in my garden, also have bees, red wasps and butterflies. I have Sweet Peas on the fence on the North side and marigolds between the tomatoes, and petunias in pots on the east side.
I can try and pollinate, I made some Fried Zucchini Blossoms the other day, so I know where the stamen is located, Thanks I will try. Txsdar

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

If you have bees, just be patient. They will come. I have never had to hand pollinate.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

how do you tell a male flower from a female flower?

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

female flower is on a miniature squash. male flower is on a straight stem.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

so what your saying that the female flower is the only flower that produces a squash?

kathy
who's going out to the garden to investigate LOL I'm not getting many zuchini's at all.

Harper, TX(Zone 8a)

I thiink I am watering too much. I think I have Phytophthora wilt. Will back off watering and see what happens. They are so healthy looking except at the blossom end and then they are wrinkled and soft. Some are very healthy and growing. Leaves are healthy looking.

Thumbnail by txsdar
Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I don't see any wilt there, they look great, look at that bucket of yummy veggies. Yum,

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.