Rowdy

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Rowdy is a collarette dahlia. I find that the times I have grown dahlias from seed it seems a lot of them are collarettes or singles. But the coloring of this one is quite pretty.

Thumbnail by Lenjo
Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Swan's Glory. It is so hard to pick a favorite, isn't it?

Thumbnail by Lenjo
Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

The last but not least for today. Watercolors. Seeing all these makes me so anxious for our summer weather to finally get here.

Thumbnail by Lenjo
Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Lenjo those are gorgeous. I have a particular fondness for the collarettes and that first shot is a beauty!

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Thanks langbr. I realize I never followed through in sending any more out as I had discussed on the bulb forum. Sorry. After sending out my orders I just had no more ambition to package more up. Maybe without that hanging over my head anymore I might be more ambitious. Joann

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Lenjo - I tried to grow Rowdy last year and it didn't make it. Thanks so much for sharing it. It's too hot for it here. By 1:00 in the afternoon it's sagging -- and then about 5:00 it came back to life. Needless to say, it was a sad showing. But that's what it's like here in zone 9. Some dahlias love it and some just won't play.

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Even here where it does get exceedingly hot for long periods of time, the dahlias can kind of sag as you say and revive. Especially in the fall the when it really begins to cool like in September and October, they are the most beautiful then. The colors become so vivid; it is only late in the season that we begin to see mildew.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Watercolors is spectacular. It certainly lives up to it's name. The photo is great.

Riverview, NB(Zone 5b)

I agree with doss, "Watercolors" has my vote. (although it's hard to choose just one)

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Well, darrell as I wrote on another thread, if the dahlia addiction bug bites I always have way more than I can use. Just remind me. Joann

Riverview, NB(Zone 5b)

I can't remember for sure, but I think you get several tubers, from the original tuber, in the fall when you dig them up. Sort of like potatoes.

A woman who lived near me had tons of tubers in the fall and would give them away, saying she got them from the plants she had already.

Maybe mine will do that too. If they do, then I'll finally have something to trade. As it is right now, I've been on the receiving end only, and paying for postage. It would be nice to have something that someone else wanted.

Lets say I dig my Dahlia up this fall. Are the other tubers attached to the main tuber I planted? If they are, how do you know where to break them off so you have good tubers for next year? Or do you wait till next year before you break them off?

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Yes,Darrell, your tuber will multiply and yes dahlias are tubers like potatoes but the eye for dahlias is up on stalk and they will need to be cut apart rather than broken. The tuber you have will make a big clump of tubers all massed together and not separate like potatoes. If you email me your address I will be glad to send you an information sheet that we use to mail our dahlia customers. Joann/Lenjo

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.