Yall are inspiring!

Colorado Springs, CO(Zone 6a)

As yall know, I live in an apartment and have absolutely no earth to plant in. I am by default a container gardener...but have always found myself growing specimens in pots, as opposed to creating beautiful containers. So here's my first stab at it. I love seeing what you all do every day- thanks for making such a fun forum! Susanne

Zinnia, artemesia limelight, pink skullcap, purple sage, petunia, and some kind of lily? in the back.

Thumbnail by art_n_garden

Pentas, a leggy justicia, coleus, mini white petunia,and zinnia.

Thumbnail by art_n_garden
Kernersville, NC(Zone 7a)

very nice! I love those little petunias, don't you?

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Very nicely done. Now, do you have to keep the artemesia topped off - won't it get leggy on you? Love the pink pentas with the dark coleus - such a nice pair!

Northwest, MO(Zone 5a)

Nice job.

Deb

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

As soon as I clicked off I realized I probably should have mentioned what I heard at a flower show earlier this year, regarding container plants and what makes it special:

The thriller - the main attraction
The filler (s) - for around the main attraction
The spiller (s) - for hanging down around the edges

Isn't that a nice, easy way to remember it?

Thanks pirl, deb and butterqueen!
butterqueen, I DO love those mini petunias...they are so petite and don't look much like common petunias, which I like because I usually like to use more unusual things.

pirl, I definitely will have to keep that artemesia in check. I pinched it back again yesterday ...we'll see how it goes! I read that quote on another thread of yours and it's such a great way to remember it! I think with more tries I will get better at this- and I'm glad to have a rule of thumb. :)
Thanks yall! Susanne

Gresham, OR(Zone 8a)

Hi, Art_n_Garden!

I wanted to share a really great book about container gardening. McGee & Stuckey's Bountiful Container: A Container Garden of Vegetables, Herbs, Fruits, and Edible Flowers. It is listed in the Garden Bookworm, and I think it is one of the most informative books I've seen in a very long time! Even though it's focus is on the edible flowers, herbs, etc., you will learn SO MUCH about container gardening. One of the authors is a long-time nurserywoman, and the other is a life-long gardener who faced trading her much loved 20 year-old garden for a condominium patio! Check your library, or maybe even Half.com. Maybe you can get an inexpensive copy. Or you can get it at the nursery owned by the author, Nichols Garden Nursery. Their website is www.nicholsgardennursery.com.

Have fun!

Tracy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.