Looking for fraises des bois

Haines Falls, NY(Zone 4b)

Hi. I'm really new at this. I really want some fraises des bois seeds. They are hard to find in the USA. I've lots of vegetable and herb seeds for trading.
Zelda

Palmyra, IL(Zone 5b)

Is it a strawberry?I can't find it in the plantfiles.Jody

Yes. Fragaria vesca. Same botanical name as alpine and wild strawberry, different taste.

Palmyra, IL(Zone 5b)

I have alpine I think that's what the trader said it was.Jody

I am interested. What do you want, and have you tasted the strawberries you have? Thank you Jody
Zelda

Palmyra, IL(Zone 5b)

They aren't ripe yet.Here's a couple photo's of them.They sure aren't regular strawberries.

Thumbnail by JodyC
Palmyra, IL(Zone 5b)

close-up of un-ripe berries

Thumbnail by JodyC
So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

White Flower Farm has them as plants. http://www.whiteflowerfarm.com/29202-product.html

I have a few in my garden and they are delicious! They are still in pots (2 years now!) because I keep moving. Hope to settle down someplace soon, and they can go th the ground.

Palmyra, IL(Zone 5b)

Mine have runners but grow very slowly.I've had these in the front of my garden for two years now and just got runners this year.So what ever they are mine do get runners.Jody

Anyone who has them, I am still interested
Zelda

Helsinki, Finland(Zone 4b)

Must be the same thing that grows wild here all over... "ahomansikka" http://www.luontonetti.com/marjat/Photos/fragaria_vesca_20020702_08_jj.jpg

:) They are delicious..

They look sooooooooooooo good. Is there something I might trade with you for the seeds? Zelda

Would a small plant make it? Growing them from seeds could be.. hmm. frustrating.

Still interested...
Zelda

Zelda, just dag up some Strawberries for you from the forest next to us.. here they are waiting in a glass of water to be packed and sent tomorrow :)

Thumbnail by Evert

Packed...

Thumbnail by Evert

They left today from Helsinki main post office.. (00100 HELSINKI) :)

I hope they make it!

Santiago, Chile(Zone 9b)

Evert, Finland's Postal stamps must be among the prittiest of the world! I love it when mail comes with stamps and not a Postal sticker.

Are you on holidays now?

Big hug,

Ursula

Thank you :)

Yes, our Summer vacation started on June 4th, and will end around mid-August as always. I've been getting tanned so well, the weather is awesome, usually in June it is cool and rains, but now it has been totally different. I am so glad. Last Summer was so rainy and boring, now it feels like it was August.

We are heading to Romania for a week on 3.7.-10.7.2005, at the Black Sea coast. Flying this time. It's nice to get a new visited country as well, and I have always wanted to go there!

This message was edited Jun 21, 2005 9:18 AM

Thanks for sending it. Sorry, I was unable to use the computer for a few days. I'll check the post office this weekend. Lucky about the vacation time. Ours started June 14. Ends September 13. Nice stamps!!! They really are the the best in the world. I can't wait for the plants to come!!
Zelda

Santiago, Chile(Zone 9b)

Dear Evert, any small sunshine surplus you might have will be mostly welcome here LOL. It seems this Autumn/Winter here is nothing but rain. It is not a really heavy rain, but constant and that's unusual here.

The ski season is at it's full, but .... I dont ski!

I wish you a wonderful week in Romania. Please don't forget to make many pictures and post them at DG!

Zelda, sorry for hijacking your thread!

Hugs,

Ursula

Mum picked some wild strawberries :) They were delicious, and there were tons of them along with the forest full of wild blueberries at my grandparent's place in the countryside.

Some more images @ http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/1013/index.html

This message was edited Jul 24, 2005 3:12 PM

Thumbnail by Evert

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.